* problem configuring backlight brightness levels in device tree
@ 2016-07-11 12:24 iw3gtf
From: iw3gtf @ 2016-07-11 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi,

I was trying to configure a pwm backlight on an embedded arm board
and I think I've found a minor problem.

In the source file 'drivers/video/backlight-pwm.c', in the function pwm_backlight_parse_dt()
you set the number of brightness values to:

pwm_backlight->backlight.brightness_max = length / sizeof(u32);

and then loop through the array with:

for (i = 0; i <=  pwm_backlight->backlight.brightness_max; i++)

to find the max of the array.

I think the '<=' should be a '<' otherwise you access an uninitialized value
one past the end of the array; this actually does not directly crash barebox
but the whole brightness values are scaled wrong.

giorgio

Giorgio, iw3gtf@arcor.de

* Re: problem configuring backlight brightness levels in device tree
@ 2016-07-13  5:18 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2016-07-13  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giorgio.nicole; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 01:51:11PM +0200, giorgio.nicole@arcor.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to configure a pwm backlight on an embedded arm board
> and I think I've found a minor problem.
>
> In the source file 'drivers/video/backlight-pwm.c', in the function pwm_backlight_parse_dt()
> you set the number of brightness values to:
>
> pwm_backlight->backlight.brightness_max = length / sizeof(u32);
>
> and then loop through the array with:
>
> for (i = 0; i <=  pwm_backlight->backlight.brightness_max; i++)
>
> to find the max of the array.
>
> I think the '<=' should be a '<' otherwise you access an uninitialized value
> one past the end of the array; this actually does not directly crash barebox
> but the whole brightness values are scaled wrong.

Yes, you're right. Can you send a patch for this?

Sascha

* problem configuring backlight brightness levels in device tree
@ 2016-07-11 11:51 giorgio.nicole