* signed HDMI firmware in imx8mq image
@ 2019-01-16  8:48 Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-01-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Every one,

In order to build a Barebox image to boot imx8mq-evk with HDMI, I have tried to
tell Barebox about the embedded signed HDMI firmware, which is necessary for
provided kernel image by NXP.

for this matter, I added the below line into the
arch/arm/boards/nxp-imx8mq-evk/flash-header-imx8mq-evk.imxcfg

  soc imx8mq
  loadaddr 0x007E1000
  dcdofs 0x400
+ signed_hdmi_firmware firmware/imx/signed_hdmi_imx8m.bin

And placed the firmware into the build-directory/firmware/imx

By checking kernel boot message, it seems the HDMI FW is running, but no access
to the HDMI:
[drm:hdmi_phy_init_t28hpc] *ERROR* HDMI mailbox access failed

What should I do more in Barebox to make HDMI accessible by kernel?

Best,
Reyhaneh

--
Reyhaneh Yazdani
Data Modul AG                            TEL:    +49-89-56017-154

Vertrauliche E-Mail von / Confidential e-mail from: DATA MODUL AG
Vorstand / CEO: Dr. Florian Pesahl
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates / Chairwoman of the Supervisory Board: Kristin D. Russell
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: München
Registergericht / Registration Court: München Handelsregister B 85 591

* Re: signed HDMI firmware in imx8mq image
@ 2019-01-16  9:34 ` Lucas Stach
From: Lucas Stach @ 2019-01-16  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yazdani, Reyhaneh, barebox

Hi Reyhaneh,

Am Mittwoch, den 16.01.2019, 08:48 +0000 schrieb Yazdani, Reyhaneh:
> Every one,
>
> In order to build a Barebox image to boot imx8mq-evk with HDMI, I have tried to
> tell Barebox about the embedded signed HDMI firmware, which is necessary for
> provided kernel image by NXP.
>
> for this matter, I added the below line into the
> arch/arm/boards/nxp-imx8mq-evk/flash-header-imx8mq-evk.imxcfg
>
>   soc imx8mq
>   loadaddr 0x007E1000
>   dcdofs 0x400
> + signed_hdmi_firmware firmware/imx/signed_hdmi_imx8m.bin
>
> And placed the firmware into the build-directory/firmware/imx
>

> By checking kernel boot message, it seems the HDMI FW is running, but no access
> to the HDMI:
> [drm:hdmi_phy_init_t28hpc] *ERROR* HDMI mailbox access failed
>
> What should I do more in Barebox to make HDMI accessible by kernel?

I don't think there is anything more needed from the Barebox side. At
least the same change works for me and gets me a working HDMI display
on the EVK board.

I don't use the NXP kernel through, but running a 4.20 based kernel
with lot of downstream bits ported. This might be a incompatibility of
your kernel with the imx8 ATF version shipped with Barebox.

Regards,
Lucas

* Re: signed HDMI firmware in imx8mq image
@ 2019-01-16 20:30   ` Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2019-01-16 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yazdani, Reyhaneh; +Cc: barebox

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:34 AM Lucas Stach <l.stach@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi Reyhaneh,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 16.01.2019, 08:48 +0000 schrieb Yazdani, Reyhaneh:
> > Every one,
> >
> > In order to build a Barebox image to boot imx8mq-evk with HDMI, I have tried to
> > tell Barebox about the embedded signed HDMI firmware, which is necessary for
> > provided kernel image by NXP.
> >
> > for this matter, I added the below line into the
> > arch/arm/boards/nxp-imx8mq-evk/flash-header-imx8mq-evk.imxcfg
> >
> >   soc imx8mq
> >   loadaddr 0x007E1000
> >   dcdofs 0x400
> > + signed_hdmi_firmware firmware/imx/signed_hdmi_imx8m.bin
> >
> > And placed the firmware into the build-directory/firmware/imx
> >

> > By checking kernel boot message, it seems the HDMI FW is running, but no access
> > to the HDMI:
> > [drm:hdmi_phy_init_t28hpc] *ERROR* HDMI mailbox access failed
> >
> > What should I do more in Barebox to make HDMI accessible by kernel?
>
> I don't think there is anything more needed from the Barebox side. At
> least the same change works for me and gets me a working HDMI display
> on the EVK board.

FWIW, I don't see anything missing either.

> I don't use the NXP kernel through, but running a 4.20 based kernel
> with lot of downstream bits ported. This might be a incompatibility of
> your kernel with the imx8 ATF version shipped with Barebox.

I was using vendor kernel when I was working on
implementing/validating initial support of that and it worked alright.
However, that has been over 5 month ago, so it is entirely possible
that newer version of various components might have become
problematic.

It is probably not a problem in your case, but do keep in mind, that
i.MX8MQ mask ROM code uses SD2 as a "backup" boot option, so if it
doesn't find anything bootable on the selected (via pins or fuses)
medium it will revert to that. If that happens, HDMI firmware present
on SD card will _not_ be loaded into HDMI IP block. I've been bitten
by this when I was working with a board that I forgot was configured
to boot from eMMC and was booting from SD card by coincidence.

Thanks,
Andrey Smirnov

* Re: signed HDMI firmware in imx8mq image
@ 2019-01-17  8:19   ` Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-01-17  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucas Stach, barebox

Hi Lucas,

I built ATF version that is used in the NXP-UBoot-Kernel image, and compiled
Barebox with that one. But still no further process. I think it is not related
to the Trusted Firmware.

Best,
Reyhaneh

--

@ 2019-01-17 10:04     ` Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-01-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

On 1/16/19 9:30 PM, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:34 AM Lucas Stach <l.stach@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Reyhaneh,
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 16.01.2019, 08:48 +0000 schrieb Yazdani, Reyhaneh:
>>> Every one,
>>>
>>> In order to build a Barebox image to boot imx8mq-evk with HDMI, I have tried to
>>> tell Barebox about the embedded signed HDMI firmware, which is necessary for
>>> provided kernel image by NXP.
>>>
>>> for this matter, I added the below line into the
>>> arch/arm/boards/nxp-imx8mq-evk/flash-header-imx8mq-evk.imxcfg
>>>
>>>   soc imx8mq
>>>   loadaddr 0x007E1000
>>>   dcdofs 0x400
>>> + signed_hdmi_firmware firmware/imx/signed_hdmi_imx8m.bin
>>>
>>> And placed the firmware into the build-directory/firmware/imx
>>>

>>> By checking kernel boot message, it seems the HDMI FW is running, but no access
>>> to the HDMI:
>>> [drm:hdmi_phy_init_t28hpc] *ERROR* HDMI mailbox access failed
>>>
>>> What should I do more in Barebox to make HDMI accessible by kernel?
>>
>> I don't think there is anything more needed from the Barebox side. At
>> least the same change works for me and gets me a working HDMI display
>> on the EVK board.
>>

> FWIW, I don't see anything missing either.
>
>> I don't use the NXP kernel through, but running a 4.20 based kernel
>> with lot of downstream bits ported. This might be a incompatibility of
>> your kernel with the imx8 ATF version shipped with Barebox.
>>

> I was using vendor kernel when I was working on
> implementing/validating initial support of that and it worked alright.
> However, that has been over 5 month ago, so it is entirely possible
> that newer version of various components might have become
> problematic.
>
> It is probably not a problem in your case, but do keep in mind, that
> i.MX8MQ mask ROM code uses SD2 as a "backup" boot option, so if it
> doesn't find anything bootable on the selected (via pins or fuses)
> medium it will revert to that. If that happens, HDMI firmware present
> on SD card will _not_ be loaded into HDMI IP block. I've been bitten
> by this when I was working with a board that I forgot was configured
> to boot from eMMC and was booting from SD card by coincidence.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrey Smirnov

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your comment.

I am booting  from SD card. And the card with complete NXP image(uboot+kernel)
loads completely. When I replace uboot with Barebox, HDMI error happens.

The point is, before adding signed_hdmi_firmware into Barebox, I got the error
during kernel boot regarding no FW loaded.

But after that, kernel detects HDMI FW is loaded but cannot communicate with it.

Best,
Reyhaneh
--

@ 2019-01-23 10:43     ` Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-01-23 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

Hi everyone,

I found the reason of the problem. It is all related to the HDMI FW itself. The
one that I took from imx-mkimage repository is different from the one, which is
used via Yocto to build final image.
Now HDMI is working :)