* BIOS like screen for uboot
@ 2010-11-01 11:36 Kallol Biswas
From: Kallol Biswas @ 2010-11-01 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi,
     We have a customer request that we need to create a BIOS like
screens for uboot.

For this we have cross compiled curses library under uboot but have
been getting error in
linking phase we have expected.

The major effort is to get termcap database into uboot.

We have looked at the barebox port of uboot and it seems to have some
menu support.
How good is the menu support? Can it handle different terminal types?

Is there any curses like support available in uboot? A few screen
shots of the barebox UI would be helpful.

Kallol

* Re: BIOS like screen for uboot
@ 2010-11-05  9:58 ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2010-11-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kallol Biswas; +Cc: barebox

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:36:24AM -0700, Kallol Biswas wrote:
> We have a customer request that we need to create a BIOS like screens
> for uboot.
>
> For this we have cross compiled curses library under uboot but have
> been getting error in linking phase we have expected.
>
> The major effort is to get termcap database into uboot.
>
> We have looked at the barebox port of uboot and it seems to have some
> menu support. How good is the menu support? Can it handle different
> terminal types?
>
> Is there any curses like support available in uboot? A few screen
> shots of the barebox UI would be helpful.

You can try it yourself by switching on the 'menu' command, i.e. in the
'sandbox' platform, which can be run on a normal linux userspace system.

If it doesn't fit your needs, we are open for any kind of contract work
in order to get more features in.

Best regards,
Robert Schwebel

* Re: BIOS like screen for uboot
@ 2010-11-06  2:25 ` Stefan Reinauer
From: Stefan Reinauer @ 2010-11-06  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

On 11/1/10 4:36 AM, Kallol Biswas wrote:
> Hi,
>      We have a customer request that we need to create a BIOS like
> screens for uboot.
>
> For this we have cross compiled curses library under uboot but have
> been getting error in
> linking phase we have expected.
>
> The major effort is to get termcap database into uboot.
Hm.. I hate patronizing people, but are you sure you (or your customers)
want that? BIOS screens are by far the most useless user interface around.

However, I think you have several options.

One, for sure, is the menu command as Robert suggested.

If you really want to go for a curses style interface I suggest that you
look at "libpayload" which is a library containing slimmed down
functions for a lot of things, including a pretty small curses
implementation that works on framebuffers, text consoles and serial
consoles. It's released under a BSD style license.

Check out http://www.coreboot.org/Libpayload

The last option might be to boot a Linux kernel and use real userland
ncurses, if you really need to (i.e. if you want i18n stuff, too). It is
also the most bloated option.

HTH
Stefan