* changing environment at build time
@ 2012-08-02 15:51 Alessandro Rubini
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2012-08-02 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello.

I'm using barebox on a machine where I wasnt to change the mac address
at flashing time (i.e., not at build time: I'd better not relink
barebox every time I flash a new machine).

I did it lazily with a sed script when the environment was not
compressed, but now a mate updated to a newer version, and the simple
trick is not working.

Since uncompressed environent areas are not supported any more, what is
the preferred method to change the default environment variables?

Thanks
/alessandro, really on deadline, so apologizing for the dumb question

* Re: changing environment at build time
@ 2012-08-02 20:22 ` Alessandro Rubini
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2012-08-02 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rubini-list; +Cc: barebox

I wrote:
> Since uncompressed environent areas are not supported any more, what is
> the preferred method to change the default environment variables?

Actually, by removing compressing code the environment is uncompressed
itself, but it looks like I have other problems that are not yet
completely clear to me.

I'm still curious about how to change mac address at flash time, but
the question is not urgent any more. Sorry for disturbing

/alessandro

* Re: changing environment at build time
@ 2012-08-03 12:57   ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2012-08-03 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Rubini; +Cc: barebox

Hi Alessandro,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 10:22:02PM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Since uncompressed environent areas are not supported any more, what is
> > the preferred method to change the default environment variables?
>
> Actually, by removing compressing code the environment is uncompressed
> itself, but it looks like I have other problems that are not yet
> completely clear to me.
>
> I'm still curious about how to change mac address at flash time, but
> the question is not urgent any more. Sorry for disturbing

You didn't disturb, this is a valid question (to which unfortunately I
do not have an answer)

Sascha

* Re: changing environment at build time
@ 2012-08-03 13:22 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2012-08-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Rubini; +Cc: barebox

On 17:51 Thu 02 Aug     , Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm using barebox on a machine where I wasnt to change the mac address
> at flashing time (i.e., not at build time: I'd better not relink
> barebox every time I flash a new machine).
>
> I did it lazily with a sed script when the environment was not
> compressed, but now a mate updated to a newer version, and the simple
> trick is not working.
>
> Since uncompressed environent areas are not supported any more, what is
> the preferred method to change the default environment variables?
why do you need such feature?

why not just use the dhcp vendor option and manage the ip like this
and maybe you can generate the mac address by using the chip unique id

Best Regards
J.