* real pedantic whining: "devicetree" isn't really a single word
@ 2014-07-02 19:01 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-07-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

  when writing/editing docs, i typically follow the lead of the
developer of the software/feature, and it seems that the proper
spelling of "device tree" is, well, "device tree" (two words).

  i won't touch any of that now, but it may be that to be rigourously
correct, a single global change should fix references to that anywhere
it's not being used as a variable name.

  anyway, just something to ponder whether it's worth doing some time
down the road. i *warned* you i was picky, but did you listen?
nooooo...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: real pedantic whining: "devicetree" isn't really a single word
@ 2014-07-02 20:12 ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2014-07-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

Oh, please bear with us germans, indians, italians and whoever we are
with our limited pidgin-english knowledge.

No, to turn it the other way around: it's great that a native-english
speaker with knowledge and taste of the language goes over the
documentation.

And at least it's now called "device tree", and no longer just "of"
(from open firmware) :-)

* Re: real pedantic whining: "devicetree" isn't really a single word
@ 2014-07-03  6:45   ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2014-07-03  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Schurig; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 10:12:33PM +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> Oh, please bear with us germans, indians, italians and whoever we are
> with our limited pidgin-english knowledge.
>
> No, to turn it the other way around: it's great that a native-english
> speaker with knowledge and taste of the language goes over the
> documentation.
>
> And at least it's now called "device tree", and no longer just "of"
> (from open firmware) :-)

Yeah, naming functions of_* is one thing, but writing of in text
looks just ugly and confusing. Writing OF is only slightly better.
Speaking of "device tree" is surely better, but unfortunately this is such
a generic term. What else do we have?

- Flat Device Tree (FDT), describes the binary format
- Device Tree Blob (DTB), same as FDT
- Device Tree Source (DTS)

There's just no good name for this mechanism.

Sascha

* Re: real pedantic whining: "devicetree" isn't really a single word
@ 2014-07-03 11:40     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-07-03 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014, Sascha Hauer wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 10:12:33PM +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > Oh, please bear with us germans, indians, italians and whoever we are
> > with our limited pidgin-english knowledge.
> >
> > No, to turn it the other way around: it's great that a native-english
> > speaker with knowledge and taste of the language goes over the
> > documentation.
> >
> > And at least it's now called "device tree", and no longer just "of"
> > (from open firmware) :-)
>
> Yeah, naming functions of_* is one thing, but writing of in text
> looks just ugly and confusing. Writing OF is only slightly better.
> Speaking of "device tree" is surely better, but unfortunately this is such
> a generic term. What else do we have?
>
> - Flat Device Tree (FDT), describes the binary format
> - Device Tree Blob (DTB), same as FDT
> - Device Tree Source (DTS)
>
> There's just no good name for this mechanism.

  yes, i've been down this road before, it's messy. the only thing i
think would be worth changing is to simply not use "devicetree" as if
it was a single word -- all of the docs i've seen for device trees
always treats that as two words. but that's not high on my priority
list ... we can revisit it down the road if anyone thinks it's worth
it. moving on ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca