* LPC43xx
@ 2014-10-21 16:34 Alexander Shiyan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexander Shiyan @ 2014-10-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox, Sascha Hauer

Hello all.

We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
support for this CPU series into barebox.
The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).
What you recommend to do?

Thanks!
---

* Re: LPC43xx
@ 2014-10-22  6:41 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2014-10-22  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shiyan; +Cc: barebox

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 08:34:03PM +0400, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
> support for this CPU series into barebox.
> The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
> and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
> tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).
> What you recommend to do?
The two obvious options are:

 - place support for your CPU where it would be for Linux
 - add support for your CPU to Linux

I'm (obviously) not Sascha, but I guess both would be fine.

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: LPC43xx
@ 2014-10-22  7:50 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2014-10-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shiyan; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 08:34:03PM +0400, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
> support for this CPU series into barebox.
> The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
> and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
> tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).
> What you recommend to do?

Just create the architecture for barebox. If the Linux Kernel gets
support for the architecture we can still rename it if we want to.

Sascha

* Re: LPC43xx
@ 2014-11-16 21:35 ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2014-11-16 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shiyan, barebox, Sascha Hauer

Hi Alexander,

On 10/21/2014 01:34 PM, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
> support for this CPU series into barebox.
> The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
> and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
> tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).

I'm working on the upstream Linux port for LPC43xx SoCs. The obvious
choice would be mach-lpc43xx. The problem is that LPC18xx are similar
SoCs, and I think it would make sense to have them in the same mach-xxx.
Haven't made up my mind on this issue, and I suspect we won't find out
until we push some patches upstream.

Anyway, if you make any progress with the barebox port, I'd be happy to
take a look and help you test it.

Regards,
--
Ezequiel Garcia, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar

* Re: LPC43xx
@ 2014-11-17  7:39   ` Alexander Shiyan
From: Alexander Shiyan @ 2014-11-17  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Garcia; +Cc: barebox

Sun, 16 Nov 2014 18:35:23 -0300 от Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@vanguardiasur.com.ar>:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On 10/21/2014 01:34 PM, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
> > support for this CPU series into barebox.
> > The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
> > and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
> > tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).
>
> I'm working on the upstream Linux port for LPC43xx SoCs. The obvious
> choice would be mach-lpc43xx. The problem is that LPC18xx are similar
> SoCs, and I think it would make sense to have them in the same mach-xxx.
> Haven't made up my mind on this issue, and I suspect we won't find out
> until we push some patches upstream.
>
> Anyway, if you make any progress with the barebox port, I'd be happy to
> take a look and help you test it.

The kernel has existing mach-lpc32xx architecture. I think it would be appropriate
to rename it to mach-lpc and move the CPU-specific options in the local KConfig as first step.

---

* Re: LPC43xx
@ 2014-11-17 12:01     ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2014-11-17 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shiyan; +Cc: barebox

On 11/17/2014 04:39 AM, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> Sun, 16 Nov 2014 18:35:23 -0300 от Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@vanguardiasur.com.ar>:
>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> On 10/21/2014 01:34 PM, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> We started developing device which uses NXP LPC43xx CPU. I would like to add
>>> support for this CPU series into barebox.
>>> The problem is that there is no support for this architecture in the Linux kernel,
>>> and it would upset the current concept (the barebox tree is very similar to Linux
>>> tree and we not have any orphan arch-s).
>>
>> I'm working on the upstream Linux port for LPC43xx SoCs. The obvious
>> choice would be mach-lpc43xx. The problem is that LPC18xx are similar
>> SoCs, and I think it would make sense to have them in the same mach-xxx.
>> Haven't made up my mind on this issue, and I suspect we won't find out
>> until we push some patches upstream.
>>
>> Anyway, if you make any progress with the barebox port, I'd be happy to
>> take a look and help you test it.
>
> The kernel has existing mach-lpc32xx architecture. I think it would be appropriate
> to rename it to mach-lpc and move the CPU-specific options in the local KConfig as first step.

LPC3xxx is ARMv5 based while LPC4xxx and LPC1xxx are ARMv7-M based.

Moreover, the peripherals are completely different (I haven't been able
to find anything useful to reuse so far). I'm not sure it makes sense to
make them share the same mach-xxx.

Anyway, we'll find out when we discuss this upstream.
--

@ 2014-11-17 12:20       ` Alexander Shiyan
From: Alexander Shiyan @ 2014-11-17 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ezequiel Garcia; +Cc: barebox

Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:01:02 -0300 от Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@vanguardiasur.com.ar>:

> On 11/17/2014 04:39 AM, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> > Sun, 16 Nov 2014 18:35:23 -0300 от Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@vanguardiasur.com.ar>:
> >> Hi Alexander,

> >> I'm working on the upstream Linux port for LPC43xx SoCs. The obvious
> >> choice would be mach-lpc43xx. The problem is that LPC18xx are similar
> >> SoCs, and I think it would make sense to have them in the same mach-xxx.
> >> Haven't made up my mind on this issue, and I suspect we won't find out
> >> until we push some patches upstream.
> >>
> >> Anyway, if you make any progress with the barebox port, I'd be happy to
> >> take a look and help you test it.
> >
> > The kernel has existing mach-lpc32xx architecture. I think it would be appropriate
> > to rename it to mach-lpc and move the CPU-specific options in the local KConfig as first step.
> >

> LPC3xxx is ARMv5 based while LPC4xxx and LPC1xxx are ARMv7-M based.

This should not be a problem. Look at the i.MX architecture, this contain v4, v5, v7 CPUs.

---