* OMAP NAND Driver ECC Read broken
@ 2015-03-26  8:13 Gabor Janak (g.janak@agilion.de)
From: Gabor Janak (g.janak@agilion.de) @ 2015-03-26  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello,

on all Platforms which using
drivers/mtd/nand/nand_omap_gpmc.c
with  ECC Mode OMAP_ECC_HAMMING_CODE_HW_ROMCODE
(in DTS: bch8_hw_romcode )  the Code is only check the first part of a block page.

The special Read-function read always a whole page, but only the ECC results oft he first block is checked.
Any Error after first 512Byte are not detected and not corrected.

I'm Using barebox-2014.09  on am335x . But it looks in the current HEAD same ...

A fast Workaround hack :
In function omap_correct_bch:
Settings blocks always to 4  and because eccsize is 13

Changing at the end:
               calc_ecc = calc_ecc + eccsize;
                read_ecc = read_ecc + eccsize+1; //add 1 because in Flash 13+1 is written
                dat += 512;

I know this ist he wrong way.... ;)

If i have some time, i will try to search a better solution, but currently i have not much time.

Bye,

Gabor

[Hannover Messe]<http://www.hannovermesse.de/aussteller/agilion/H465093?source=dl_ban>

* Re: OMAP NAND Driver ECC Read broken
@ 2015-03-27  7:52 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2015-03-27  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Janak (g.janak@agilion.de); +Cc: barebox

Hi Gabor,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 08:13:38AM +0000, Gabor Janak (g.janak@agilion.de) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on all Platforms which using
> drivers/mtd/nand/nand_omap_gpmc.c
> with  ECC Mode OMAP_ECC_HAMMING_CODE_HW_ROMCODE
> (in DTS: bch8_hw_romcode )  the Code is only check the first part of a block page.
>
> The special Read-function read always a whole page, but only the ECC results oft he first block is checked.
> Any Error after first 512Byte are not detected and not corrected.
>
> I'm Using barebox-2014.09  on am335x . But it looks in the current HEAD same ...
>
> A fast Workaround hack :
> In function omap_correct_bch:
> Settings blocks always to 4  and because eccsize is 13
>
> Changing at the end:
>                calc_ecc = calc_ecc + eccsize;
>                 read_ecc = read_ecc + eccsize+1; //add 1 because in Flash 13+1 is written
>                 dat += 512;
>

> I know this ist he wrong way.... ;)
>
> If i have some time, i will try to search a better solution, but currently i have not much time.

It would be great if you could find the time to write a patch. Thanks
for noting this issue anyway, it may safe other peoples time.

Sascha