* Read kernel from static UBI volume
@ 2016-10-27  7:10 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2016-10-27  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello all,

I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.

Thanks,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com

* Re: Read kernel from static UBI volume
@ 2016-10-27  7:18 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2016-10-27  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: barebox

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:10:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
> from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.

Are you using ptxdist? If so, enable BLSPEC which results in the kernel
being installed (together with a dtb if configured) in the rootfs and
barebox can boot this easily.

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: Read kernel from static UBI volume
@ 2016-10-27  7:29   ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2016-10-27  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: barebox

Hello,

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:10:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
>> from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.
>
> Are you using ptxdist? If so, enable BLSPEC which results in the kernel
> being installed (together with a dtb if configured) in the rootfs and
> barebox can boot this easily.

Yes, but this is not what I want: I want to be able to read a kernel
from a static UBI volume, not from the rootfs. Is this possible ?

@ 2016-10-27  7:31 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2016-10-27  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: barebox

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:10:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
> from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.

bootm /dev/nand0.ubi.whatever should do.

Sascha

* Re: Read kernel from static UBI volume
@ 2016-10-27  7:34   ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2016-10-27  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:10:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
>> from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.
>
> bootm /dev/nand0.ubi.whatever should do.

That easy?

This is one of the reasons why I like barebox so much better than u-boot..

I assume this will just read the whole volume (as opposed to checking
the zImage size and so on). Correct?

Also will this do the UBI static volume CRC check?

@ 2016-10-27  7:39     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2016-10-27  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia; +Cc: barebox

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:34:20AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:10:02AM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I know Barebox can load files from UBIFS. However, is there support
> >> from booting a kernel directly from a static UBI volume?.
> >
> > bootm /dev/nand0.ubi.whatever should do.
>
> That easy?
>
> This is one of the reasons why I like barebox so much better than u-boot..
>
> I assume this will just read the whole volume (as opposed to checking
> the zImage size and so on). Correct?

The bootm code only reads the actual image size.

> Also will this do the UBI static volume CRC check?

You read a UBI volume using the UBI code which is more or less identical
to the Kernel, so I'd assume the code does whatever is necessary,
including the crc check.
I'm speaking a bit nebulous because I never used static UBI volumes
myself.

Sascha