* Secure trusted boot mechanism
@ 2017-01-16  8:26 Dold, Wolfram
From: Dold, Wolfram @ 2017-01-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi all,
I wanted to ask if barebox supports any kind of secure boot mechanism like FIT-Image or
any other type of verified secure trusted boot?

Thanks, Wolfram

* Re: Secure trusted boot mechanism
@ 2017-01-16  8:33 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2017-01-16  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dold, Wolfram; +Cc: barebox

Hi Wolfram,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:26:44AM +0000, Dold, Wolfram wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wanted to ask if barebox supports any kind of secure boot mechanism like FIT-Image or
> any other type of verified secure trusted boot?

Yes, barebox does support FIT images.
It also supports HAB on i.MX machines, although this is only for
starting trusted bootloaders from the ROM, not for starting trusted
kernels.

Sascha

* Re: Secure trusted boot mechanism
@ 2017-01-16  9:22   ` Dold, Wolfram
From: Dold, Wolfram @ 2017-01-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Hi Sascha,
thanks for your fast reply.

On 16.01.2017 09:33, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi Wolfram,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:26:44AM +0000, Dold, Wolfram wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I wanted to ask if barebox supports any kind of secure boot mechanism like FIT-Image or
>> any other type of verified secure trusted boot?
>
> Yes, barebox does support FIT images.
> It also supports HAB on i.MX machines, although this is only for
> starting trusted bootloaders from the ROM, not for starting trusted
> kernels.
We have an TI AM335x Machine. As I understood the only way in such an environment to boot a trusted kernel is FIT?
What we wnat to do is to prevent the device from being hijacked.
Do you know another way than FIT to do that?
Is there any documentation available regarding barebox and FIT?

@ 2017-01-16  9:40     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2017-01-16  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dold, Wolfram; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:22:57AM +0000, Dold, Wolfram wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
> thanks for your fast reply.
>
> On 16.01.2017 09:33, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > Hi Wolfram,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:26:44AM +0000, Dold, Wolfram wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I wanted to ask if barebox supports any kind of secure boot mechanism like FIT-Image or
> >> any other type of verified secure trusted boot?
> >
> > Yes, barebox does support FIT images.
> > It also supports HAB on i.MX machines, although this is only for
> > starting trusted bootloaders from the ROM, not for starting trusted
> > kernels.
> We have an TI AM335x Machine. As I understood the only way in such an environment to boot a trusted kernel is FIT?

Yes.

Of course you have to make sure that the Boot ROM only boots trusted
bootloaders. I don't know what the AM335x offers here to do that.

> What we wnat to do is to prevent the device from being hijacked.
> Do you know another way than FIT to do that?

No, at least not with barebox (or U-Boot).

> Is there any documentation available regarding barebox and FIT?

Not really, no. Support is similar to U-Boot though. You have to use
mkimage on a device tree blob describing a FIT image. Additionally
you have to put a public key into the device tree to give barebox
something to verify against. If you decide to give it a try I can guide
you through and in the end we can generate documention from this for the
next one.

Sascha