* autotools for barebox host/target tools?
@ 2018-02-22  8:03 Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-22  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barebox List

Hi All,

I was just thinking, the kernel build system is great for compiling
barebox itself, but for compiling the userspace host and target tools
autotools would be a better match as they much better allow to specify
the necessary compilers and to pull the necessary dependencies in.
Any opinions or even volunteers?

Sascha

* Re: autotools for barebox host/target tools?
@ 2018-02-22 14:20 ` Giorgio Dal Molin
From: Giorgio Dal Molin @ 2018-02-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Hi,

I have some experience with the gnu autotools.

Could you specify which tools you are thinking about ?

An alternative to the gnu autotools could also be 'meson'.

giorgio

@ 2018-02-22 18:00 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2018-02-22 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: Barebox List

Hi Sasha.

> I was just thinking, the kernel build system is great for compiling
> barebox itself, but for compiling the userspace host and target tools
> autotools would be a better match as they much better allow to specify
> the necessary compilers and to pull the necessary dependencies in.

What specific problems are you trying to solve that is
not solved today by the support in scripts/Makefile.host?

I notice you want to build tools for the target as well.
This should be relatively easy to add support for that using
the current kbuild syntax.

I we are going for something more standard then cmake or meson
are more modern choices than the dreadful autotools stuff.
And with modern I also imply better / simpler.

> Any opinions or even volunteers?

Any specific program you have in mind?

	Sam

* Re: autotools for barebox host/target tools?
@ 2018-02-26  7:40   ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-02-26  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: Barebox List

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 07:00:26PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Hi Sasha.
>
> > I was just thinking, the kernel build system is great for compiling
> > barebox itself, but for compiling the userspace host and target tools
> > autotools would be a better match as they much better allow to specify
> > the necessary compilers and to pull the necessary dependencies in.
>
> What specific problems are you trying to solve that is
> not solved today by the support in scripts/Makefile.host?

No really specific problems. I just think that while handmade Makefiles
are good for the kernel/barebox, compiling userspace tools feels more
natural using widespread userspace build environments. Manually calling
pkg-config doesn't sound like a good idea and probably we would need
another pkg-config when compiling for the target. Now we normally do
not want to build the USB upload tools we have for the target, so this
argument doesn't really count.

> I notice you want to build tools for the target as well.
> This should be relatively easy to add support for that using
> the current kbuild syntax.

We do this already using targetprogs-y

> I we are going for something more standard then cmake or meson
> are more modern choices than the dreadful autotools stuff.
> And with modern I also imply better / simpler.

I didn't know about meson. This one sounds interesting and Michael
Olbrich, our build system expert, also has good things to tell about
meson.

As said, there are no concrete problems I wanted to solve, I just had
the vague feeling that for example integration into build systems
like YOCTO or ptxdist) might get simpler. Anyway, it was just an idea.

Sascha