From: Patrick Boettcher <patrick.boettcher@posteo.de>
To: barebox@lists.infradead.org
Cc: Mikael Pann <Mikael.pann@stimio.fr>
Subject: IMX6UL: Booting kernel with initramfs blocks
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 12:05:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

we are using a Phytec IMX6UL-module and would like to use a
kernel+initramfs as a rescue/recovery system (when bootchooser bails
out).

We are building the initramfs-zIamge with Yocto using a
customized Phytec-distribution (not many changes).

What we added to get an initramfs'd kernel is

   INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "<image-name>"
   INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"

to local.conf.

bitbaking the thing gives us the zImage-initramfs-file.

Then we created two static volumes within the UBI-partition on the
NAND one for the image, one for the dtb.

When trying to boot the image with bootm -o .. .. it takes some time
(to load I guess) and then blocks.

Putting the zImage "kernel-only" on the same volumes and booting works
(except that there is no rootfs).

Our zImage with initramfs is 28MiB big, the kernel alone 7.

Could anyone advise what's wrong with this setup? Is it is
size-problem in barebox?

Is it a Yocto-problem? I'm aware that asking here might the wrong
thing, as barebox is only one part of the system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

best regards,
--
Patrick.