* Barebox support for Arm Cortex-M0 Boards
@ 2019-02-12 12:57 Kai Che
From: Kai Che @ 2019-02-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi everyone,

does barebox support any kind of Arm-Cortex M0 Boards? e.g. STM32F0 or similiar?

I couldn't find any mention of such a board in the board support section of the documentation.

I hope I didn't overlook something.

Thanks and best Regards,
Kai Che

* Re: Barebox support for Arm Cortex-M0 Boards
@ 2019-02-12 13:34 ` Roland Hieber
From: Roland Hieber @ 2019-02-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Che; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:57:26PM +0000, Kai Che wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> does barebox support any kind of Arm-Cortex M0 Boards? e.g. STM32F0 or similiar?

> I couldn't find any mention of such a board in the board support section of the documentation.
>
> I hope I didn't overlook something.

I've not seen any Cortex-M support for barebox yet, but I think it would
make a great research project :) Barebox does not need a MMU as far as I
know.

 - Roland

--
Roland Hieber                     | r.hieber@pengutronix.de     |
Pengutronix e.K.                  | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

* Re: Barebox support for Arm Cortex-M0 Boards
@ 2019-02-12 13:47   ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2019-02-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Hieber, Kai Che; +Cc: barebox

On 12.02.19 14:34, Roland Hieber wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:57:26PM +0000, Kai Che wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> does barebox support any kind of Arm-Cortex M0 Boards? e.g. STM32F0 or similiar?
>

>> I couldn't find any mention of such a board in the board support section of the documentation.
>>
>> I hope I didn't overlook something.
>
> I've not seen any Cortex-M support for barebox yet, but I think it would
> make a great research project :) Barebox does not need a MMU as far as I
> know.

I have used it on old USB MIPS based WiFi adapter, instead of original firmware. It has
similar specification. So, I assume it would work for STM32F0. No idea if it make sense.

Kind regards,
Oleksij Rempel

* Re: Barebox support for Arm Cortex-M0 Boards
@ 2019-02-12 14:50 ` Antony Pavlov
From: Antony Pavlov @ 2019-02-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Che; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:57:26 +0000
Kai Che <Kai.Che@mixed-mode.de> wrote:

Hi!

> does barebox support any kind of Arm-Cortex M0 Boards? e.g. STM32F0 or similiar?

At the moment barebox does not support ARM-Cortex.
I suppose there is no problem to port barebox to STM32.
However STM32F0 definitely is not a preferred STM32 target chip for porting.
Barebox is intended to be a BOOTLOADER. Barebox is intended to load something into RAM.
STM32F098VC is an advanced STMF0 family chip in terms of RAM and ROM size.
STM32F098VC has 256 KB of flash ROM and 32 KB of SRAM.
I suppose that barebox can be linked to put code into flash ROM (e.g. see ROMKERNEL
option for blackfin linux kernel port) and 32 KB of RAM can be enough for data
but IMHO 32 KB is not enough for comfort and useful work.

AFAIR It is possible to run risc-v barebox (both code and data) inside 192 KB RAM memory
space in a VERY VERY MINIMAL configuration, just demo.

Barebox can be really useful on linux-capable STM32 chips and board, e.g.
STM32F429 DISCO board (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f429idiscovery.html)

> I couldn't find any mention of such a board in the board support section of the documentation.
>
> I hope I didn't overlook something.

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov