* setup for a working framebuffer in qemu
@ 2019-10-15 15:08 Denis Roio
From: Denis Roio @ 2019-10-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

hi all! noob question here, hope you don't mind

is there a recommended, matching configuration to run barebox in qemu
with a working /dev/fb0 ?

I have made some tries already with no success:

- qemu emulated mips-malta boots, but no fb0
- qemu emulated vexpress boots, but no fb0
- qemu emulated sabrelite can't even get it to boot

I'm a bit out of ideas. Would really appreciate guidance, this is
mostly for fun while poking around this wonderful project.

Thanks!

--
  Denis "Jaromil" Roio      https://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities

* Re: setup for a working framebuffer in qemu
@ 2019-10-15 15:22 ` Ahmad Fatoum
From: Ahmad Fatoum @ 2019-10-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello Denis,

On 10/15/19 5:08 PM, Denis Roio wrote:

> hi all! noob question here, hope you don't mind
>
> is there a recommended, matching configuration to run barebox in qemu
> with a working /dev/fb0 ?

Easiest way is to use barebox sandbox. It has a SDL fb driver.

> I have made some tries already with no success:
>
> - qemu emulated mips-malta boots, but no fb0
> - qemu emulated vexpress boots, but no fb0

Could be that they don't have driver support in barebox.
Check under drivers/fb.

> - qemu emulated sabrelite can't even get it to boot

There's a CONFIG_BOARD_ARM_GENERIC_DT option that yields a barebox image
that boots like Linux does and can be passed to qemu's -kernel
option. The commit introducing it has some extra info on how to use
it with QEMU + sabrelite.
https://www.spinics.net/lists/u-boot-v2/msg38795.html

@ 2019-10-15 20:57 ` Antony Pavlov
From: Antony Pavlov @ 2019-10-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Roio; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 17:08:42 +0200
Denis Roio <jaromil@dyne.org> wrote:

> hi all! noob question here, hope you don't mind
>
> is there a recommended, matching configuration to run barebox in qemu
> with a working /dev/fb0 ?
>

> I have made some tries already with no success:
>
> - qemu emulated mips-malta boots, but no fb0

Sorry, mips-malta does not support fb0.

Use sandbox (you have to install libsdl development package):

$ wget https://www.barebox.org/download/barebox-2019.10.0.tar.bz2
$ tar vfx barebox-2019.10.0.tar.bz2
$ cd barebox-2019.10.0
$ make sandbox_defconfig
$ echo CONFIG_DRIVER_VIDEO_SDL=y >> .config
$ make oldconfig
$ make

$ ./barebox

Enable framebuffer console from barebox command line:

barebox@barebox sandbox:/ fbconsole0.active=oe

or you can enable only framebuffer (without console):

barebox@barebox sandbox:/ fb0.enable=1

use 'splash /logo/barebox-logo-240.png' to test picture output.

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov