* readling, ctrl-u is not working like linux console
@ 2019-10-15 20:57 duhuanpeng
From: duhuanpeng @ 2019-10-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox; +Cc: r.karszniewicz

Hi,

I find it the barebox console's ctrl-u is not working like my
linux host.
for now, the barebox's ctrl-u discard the whole line. but the
linux consle just remove characters before cursor.
is the barebox ctrl-u follows any standard, if not, how about
make it just works like linux(ah, it is gnu readline) does.

Regards,
duhuanpeng

* Re: readling, ctrl-u is not working like linux console
@ 2019-10-16  8:57 ` Roland Hieber
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Roland Hieber @ 2019-10-16  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox, r.karszniewicz

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 04:57:45AM +0800, duhuanpeng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find it the barebox console's ctrl-u is not working like my
> linux host.
> for now, the barebox's ctrl-u discard the whole line. but the
> linux consle just remove characters before cursor.
> is the barebox ctrl-u follows any standard, if not, how about
> make it just works like linux(ah, it is gnu readline) does.

FWIW, in bash on both my tty2 and urxvt, Ctrl-U clears the whole line.
But I don't know if there is a standard for this shortkey.

 - Roland

--
Roland Hieber                     | r.hieber@pengutronix.de     |
Pengutronix e.K.                  | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

* Re: readling, ctrl-u is not working like linux console
@ 2019-10-16  9:14   ` Ulrich Ölmann
From: Ulrich Ölmann @ 2019-10-16  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox; +Cc: r.karszniewicz

On Wed, Oct 16 2019 at 10:57 +0200, Roland Hieber <rhi@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 04:57:45AM +0800, duhuanpeng wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find it the barebox console's ctrl-u is not working like my
>> linux host.
>> for now, the barebox's ctrl-u discard the whole line. but the
>> linux consle just remove characters before cursor.
>> is the barebox ctrl-u follows any standard, if not, how about
>> make it just works like linux(ah, it is gnu readline) does.
>
> FWIW, in bash on both my tty2 and urxvt, Ctrl-U clears the whole line.
> But I don't know if there is a standard for this shortkey.

See this section [1] in the readline documentation.

Best regards
Ulrich

[1] https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/readline.html#SEC17
--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Ulrich Ölmann               |

* Re: readling, ctrl-u is not working like linux console
@ 2019-10-16 13:47   ` duhuanpeng
From: duhuanpeng @ 2019-10-16 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Hieber; +Cc: barebox, r.karszniewicz

> FWIW, in bash on both my tty2 and urxvt, Ctrl-U clears the whole line.

did you try to move your cursor in the middle of a line.

I guess my bash use this keybinds:

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Bindable-Readline-Commands

  8.4.4 Killing And Yanking
    kill-line (C-k)
    Kill the text from point to the end of the line.

    backward-kill-line (C-x Rubout)
    Kill backward from the cursor to the beginning of the current line.

    unix-line-discard (C-u)
    Kill backward from the cursor to the beginning of the current line.

    kill-whole-line ()
    Kill all characters on the current line, no matter where point is. By default, this is unbound.

@ 2019-10-16 15:01   ` Robert Karszniewicz
From: Robert Karszniewicz @ 2019-10-16 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

On 10/16/19 10:57 AM, Roland Hieber wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 04:57:45AM +0800, duhuanpeng wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find it the barebox console's ctrl-u is not working like my
>> linux host.
>> for now, the barebox's ctrl-u discard the whole line. but the
>> linux consle just remove characters before cursor.
>> is the barebox ctrl-u follows any standard, if not, how about
>> make it just works like linux(ah, it is gnu readline) does.
>
> FWIW, in bash on both my tty2 and urxvt, Ctrl-U clears the whole line.
> But I don't know if there is a standard for this shortkey.
>
>   - Roland

In some shells, like mksh, the default behaviour of ctrl-u is to kill
the whole line. But then it's not called unix-line-discard, and I don't
think mksh uses readline, either. The "standard" is probably just
readline, though it makes me wonder where the "unix" came from…

* Re: readling, ctrl-u is not working like linux console
@ 2019-10-16 15:33     ` duhuanpeng
From: duhuanpeng @ 2019-10-16 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Karszniewicz; +Cc: barebox

> In some shells, like mksh, the default behaviour of ctrl-u is to kill the
> whole line. But then it's not called unix-line-discard, and I don't think
> mksh uses readline, either. The "standard" is probably just readline, though
> it makes me wonder where the "unix" came from…

Hi, to avoid run into this issues:
> The program in a Unix-like system that allocates machine resources and talks to the hardware is called the “kernel”. GNU is typically used with a kernel called Linux. This combination is the GNU/Linux operating system. GNU/Linux is used by millions, though many call it “Linux” by mistake.

I think it is better to descript it what it ctrl-u does:

Kill backward from the cursor to the beginning of the current line.
:)

@ 2019-10-17  8:54     ` Roland Hieber
From: Roland Hieber @ 2019-10-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox, r.karszniewicz

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 09:47:05PM +0800, duhuanpeng wrote:

> > FWIW, in bash on both my tty2 and urxvt, Ctrl-U clears the whole line.
>
> did you try to move your cursor in the middle of a line.

Ah, I misread your first mail. Yes, my bash only discards characters
before the cursor until the start of the line.

 - Roland