On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 05:37:33PM +0200, Ahmad Fatoum wrote: > Hello, > > On 8/12/20 5:13 PM, Oleksij Rempel wrote: > >>> + dev_set_name(dev, "dt-root.of"); > >> > >> Couldn't we drop the dt-? just let it be root.of. > >> dashes make use of device parameters less convenient should we > >> want to use those in future IIRC. > > > > dt is used to make clear: it is root of dt and not some random root of > > what ever. > > It's redundant, there is already a .of suffix. > I like machine.of more though. > > >> of_platform_device_create does: > >> > >> [-] check if device is available: not applicable to root node > >> [-] populate io resources: not applicable to root node > >> [-] use of_device_make_bus_id to get a name: not applicable to root node (prior to this patch) > >> [-] configure dma: not applicable to root node > >> [x] call platform_device_register > > > > You make this assumption, just because this node has no parents? > > Does it means, a parent less child may have no resources to do some work? > > You should be ashamed of yourself! :D > > > > But really, what prevents you to assign board specific resource to a > > root node. It is just node as many others. > > It makes no sense for the root node to have resources. > What is a machine-wide interrupt? Or a machine-wide MMIO region? > What size would that region even have, when you have no parent > bus that defines address/size cells? yes, you are right. > Do you have any examples of oftree resources for the root node? Do you have any example of the root node used as device? > I'd rather not litter core code with an if-clause that evaluates to > true only once, How many ifs are added in this patch and how many ifs will by added by your suggestion? > to support your (IMHO wrong) use of a helper. Interesting change of conversation. Please stay technical. > of_device_make_bus_id is taken from Linux and does per comment: > > This routine will first try using the translated bus address to > derive a unique name. If it cannot, then it will prepend names from > parent nodes until a unique name can be derived. > > IMO, it should stay that way. Ok, i'll send a patch to rename of_device_make_bus_id to of_device_make_id. In this case it will reflect new reality and keep the code readable. If you have arguments in following topics: - it will significantly affect performance - it will affect size of executable - it will affect maintainability Please use them Regards, Oleksij -- Pengutronix e.K. | | Steuerwalder Str. 21 | http://www.pengutronix.de/ | 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |