* filling string variables in script
@ 2012-03-29 13:35 Martino Ruppi
From: Martino Ruppi @ 2012-03-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Dear all,
I would ask a question as barebox user.
I mind to set a variable as result of memory reading but I understand it doesn't implemented redirection.
I'd like to do something of this:

myvar=""
memcpy -s  /dev/nor0.switch -d $myvar 0x0 0x0 4

or

myvar="$(cat /dev/nor0.switch)"

I think, I use one of last releases (version command?).
Thanks to everyone can help me.
Marty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martino Ruppi, FW engineer developer, PhD
mruppi@techimp.com<mailto:mruppi@techimp.com>
Techimp HQ srl
Via Toscana 11/C
40069 Zola Predosa (BO)
Tel.   051 19986050
Fax.   051 19986099
Cell.  349 4677660

* R: filling string variables in script
@ 2012-04-02 14:28 ` Martino Ruppi
From: Martino Ruppi @ 2012-04-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

I'm sorry, I renovate my previous question.
Or maybe it wasn't arrived to the list.
I appreciate if someone could put me on right trace.
Thanks. Marty

I mind to set a variable as result of memory reading but I understand it doesn't implemented redirection.
I'd like to do something of this:

myvar=""
memcpy -s  /dev/nor0.switch -d $myvar 0x0 0x0 4

or

myvar="$(cat /dev/nor0.switch)"

I think, I use one of last releases (version command?).
Thanks to everyone can help me.
Marty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martino Ruppi, FW engineer developer, PhD
mruppi@techimp.com<mailto:mruppi@techimp.com>

Techimp HQ srl
Via Toscana 11/C
40069 Zola Predosa (BO)
Tel.   051 19986050
Fax.   051 19986099
Cell.  349 4677660

* Re: R: filling string variables in script
@ 2012-04-02 14:37   ` Sascha Hauer
       [not found]     ` <63954CAD61AA2440BC0B16A69EAE2BBC630E11085B@srv-exc.techimp.com>
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2012-04-02 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martino Ruppi; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 04:28:22PM +0200, Martino Ruppi wrote:
> I'm sorry, I renovate my previous question.
> Or maybe it wasn't arrived to the list.
> I appreciate if someone could put me on right trace.
> Thanks. Marty

If I understand correctly then you want to copy the content of
/dev/nor0.switch to a variable. I'm afraid there currently is no
way to do this in barebox. What information is inside this nor
partition? It seems like you want to implement some kind of redundant
boot and want to decide which rootfs you want to boot. Am I right?

Sascha

* Re: R: R: filling string variables in script
       [not found]     ` <63954CAD61AA2440BC0B16A69EAE2BBC630E11085B@srv-exc.techimp.com>
@ 2012-04-02 16:53       ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2012-04-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martino Ruppi; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 04:52:41PM +0200, Martino Ruppi wrote:

> [...]

You can access the barebox environment from Linux using
scripts/bareboxenv (I have a patch which compiles it for the target
also)
We use this in a similar setup to set a variable under Linux and read it
out under barebox to decide which rootfs to boot. If you prefer to
put this into a seperate partition you can add it using
saveenv <path_to_env> <directory> and
loadenv <path_to_env> <directory>.

Sascha