* imx-usb-loader on imx8mq/mm
@ 2019-12-12 10:13 Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-12-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello everyone,

I am trying to load Barebox to the imx8mm board via imx-usb-loader, but it stops
in the middle. I think maybe it is because we do not have a flash-header file
with the static RAM configuration. Does someone have any idea about that?

Best,
Reyhaneh
--
Reyhaneh Yazdani
Data Modul AG                            TEL:    +49-89-56017-154

Vertrauliche E-Mail von / Confidential e-mail from: DATA MODUL AG
Vorstand / CEO: Dr. Florian Pesahl
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates / Chairwoman of the Supervisory Board: Kristin D. Russell
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: München
Registergericht / Registration Court: München Handelsregister B 85 591

* Re: imx-usb-loader on imx8mq/mm
@ 2019-12-12 10:24 ` Lucas Stach
From: Lucas Stach @ 2019-12-12 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yazdani, Reyhaneh, barebox

Hi Reyhaneh,

On Do, 2019-12-12 at 10:13 +0000, Yazdani, Reyhaneh wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to load Barebox to the imx8mm board via imx-usb-loader, but it stops
> in the middle. I think maybe it is because we do not have a flash-header file
> with the static RAM configuration. Does someone have any idea about that?

Currently it's impossible to load Barebox on the i.MX8M via the imx-
usb-loader. The basic issue is that the DRAM setup happens in the PBL,
so there is no way to play the DCD and load a complete Barebox image
into DRAM like we do on the older SoCs.

For boards that do the DRAM setup in the PBL we would need to implement
a 2 step loading approach in imx-usb-loader:
First load the PBL part (max_load_size in the flash-header) into SRAM,
execute the DRAM setup, then have a implementation of the imx serial
load USB protocol in the PBL, so imx-usb-loader can load the complete
image into DRAM.

There's quite a bit of implementation work to be done here, but it
would be a very welcome addition to Barebox.

Regards,
Lucas

* Re: imx-usb-loader on imx8mq/mm
@ 2019-12-13  7:20   ` Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-12-13  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucas Stach, barebox

Thanks Lucas.

So, if I have a board which has only eMMC (no SD card). What would be your
recommendation about programming it with Barebox?

Currently, I program U-Boot via uuu utility and then from Kernel, I program
Barebox on boot1 partition of eMMC (boot0 is not possible).

I am trying at least to program Barebox in U-boot via ums, mmc write , ... but
until now I am not successful. Do you have any experience or idea?

(I had forgotten to reply-all and Barebox mailing list was not on my previous
Email, so I send the Email again)

Best,
Reyhaneh

--

@ 2019-12-13  7:55     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2019-12-13  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yazdani, Reyhaneh; +Cc: barebox

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 07:20:15AM +0000, Yazdani, Reyhaneh wrote:
> Thanks Lucas.
>
> So, if I have a board which has only eMMC (no SD card). What would be your
> recommendation about programming it with Barebox?
>
> Currently, I program U-Boot via uuu utility and then from Kernel, I program
> Barebox on boot1 partition of eMMC (boot0 is not possible).
>
> I am trying at least to program Barebox in U-boot via ums, mmc write , ... but
> until now I am not successful. Do you have any experience or idea?

The image as it's falling out of the barebox build should be written
straight to the eMMC. The eMMC itself has a setting which specifies
where the i.MX will boot from, valid setting are user area, boot0 or
boot1. It can be that this setting doesn't match the area you are
writing to.

Another way would be to start barebox from U-Boot and let the
barebox-update command do the job of writing barebox to the eMMC.

Sascha

* Re: imx-usb-loader on imx8mq/mm
@ 2019-12-13 14:24       ` Yazdani, Reyhaneh
From: Yazdani, Reyhaneh @ 2019-12-13 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Thanks Sascha,

I could finally program Barebox on eMMC from u-boot :)

Best,
Reyhaneh

--

@ 2020-02-21 18:32         ` Ahmad Fatoum
From: Ahmad Fatoum @ 2020-02-21 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yazdani, Reyhaneh, Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Hello,

On 12/13/19 3:24 PM, Yazdani, Reyhaneh wrote:
> Thanks Sascha,
>
> I could finally program Barebox on eMMC from u-boot :)

with recent changes in upstream/next, you should be able to do it with imx-usb-loader
only now.

Cheers
Ahmad

@ 2020-02-24  8:43           ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2020-02-24  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmad Fatoum; +Cc: barebox, Yazdani, Reyhaneh

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 07:32:55PM +0100, Ahmad Fatoum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 12/13/19 3:24 PM, Yazdani, Reyhaneh wrote:
> > Thanks Sascha,
> >
> > I could finally program Barebox on eMMC from u-boot :)
>
> with recent changes in upstream/next, you should be able to do it with imx-usb-loader
> only now.

It seems there are some fixes missing, I'll come up with them later.
Anyway, the recent additions only work on i.MX8MM, the i.MX8MQ has
another USB controller. Also using imx-usb-loader on i.MX8M needs help
from the board code which is currently only implemented on the i.MX8MM
EVK.

Sascha