* No default env without Barebox wanting to load from persistant storage
@ 2018-10-28 15:24 Martin Hofmann
From: Martin Hofmann @ 2018-10-28 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a Barebox port for our own home made
architecture used for educational purpose.

The port can be found under github.com/mh0fmann/eco32-barebox and starts
being used.

Our architecture does not have any kind of nand or nor flash that can be
added used for /dev/env0 to store a environment in it but we still want
to use a default compile in enivornment.

In oderder to use that one is in the in the need to activate
CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING which alaways wants to load a environment from
/dev/env0.

So the question is - is it not possible to just use a compile in default
env without the need that barebox wants to load another env from
somewhere else or did i miss something on the way?

 From the code I see that CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING activates the initcall
with the whole code loading the compiled in one and the one stored on
persistant storage. So maybe that envfs_load(...) should also be nested
in a compile time evaluation and Kconfig option to enable the loading
from persistand stiorage.

I mean it still works but one always gets the message that nothing could
be loaded from /dev/env0 which is true for our case because it is not
there and won't be in near future. So it would be good if one could use
a default compile in env without having barebox to search and load for
another env on some persistent storage if not explicitly configured to
do so.

If so maybe this would be a good idea to add this in a upcoming version.

Greetings,
Martin

* Re: No default env without Barebox wanting to load from persistant storage
@ 2018-10-29 13:53 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-10-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Hofmann; +Cc: barebox

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 04:24:13PM +0100, Martin Hofmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently working on a Barebox port for our own home made architecture
> used for educational purpose.
>
> The port can be found under github.com/mh0fmann/eco32-barebox and starts
> being used.
>
> Our architecture does not have any kind of nand or nor flash that can be
> added used for /dev/env0 to store a environment in it but we still want to
> use a default compile in enivornment.
>
> In oderder to use that one is in the in the need to activate
> CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING which alaways wants to load a environment from
> /dev/env0.
>
> So the question is - is it not possible to just use a compile in default env
> without the need that barebox wants to load another env from somewhere else
> or did i miss something on the way?

Indeed this a usecase I never thought of and is not officially
supported. However, a

	default_environment_path_set(NULL);

Should have the desired effect.

Sascha

* Re: No default env without Barebox wanting to load from persistant storage
@ 2018-10-30  6:57   ` Martin Hofmann
From: Martin Hofmann @ 2018-10-30  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On 10/29/18 2:53 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 04:24:13PM +0100, Martin Hofmann wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am currently working on a Barebox port for our own home made architecture
>> used for educational purpose.
>>
>> The port can be found under github.com/mh0fmann/eco32-barebox and starts
>> being used.
>>
>> Our architecture does not have any kind of nand or nor flash that can be
>> added used for /dev/env0 to store a environment in it but we still want to
>> use a default compile in enivornment.
>>
>> In oderder to use that one is in the in the need to activate
>> CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING which alaways wants to load a environment from
>> /dev/env0.
>>
>> So the question is - is it not possible to just use a compile in default env
>> without the need that barebox wants to load another env from somewhere else
>> or did i miss something on the way?
>
> Indeed this a usecase I never thought of and is not officially
> supported. However, a
>
> 	default_environment_path_set(NULL);
>
> Should have the desired effect.
>
> Sascha

Hello Sascha,

thanks for the reply!

But are your sure that setting the default evironment path to NULL would
have the said effect?

It will then pass the NULL filepath pointer to open in load_envfs?
Which in return also doesn't check for if the argumnt is NULL or not..

Looks like barebox crashes in this case

@ 2018-10-30  7:33     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2018-10-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Hofmann; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 07:57:23AM +0100, Martin Hofmann wrote:

> On 10/29/18 2:53 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 04:24:13PM +0100, Martin Hofmann wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I am currently working on a Barebox port for our own home made architecture
> >> used for educational purpose.
> >>
> >> The port can be found under github.com/mh0fmann/eco32-barebox and starts
> >> being used.
> >>
> >> Our architecture does not have any kind of nand or nor flash that can be
> >> added used for /dev/env0 to store a environment in it but we still want to
> >> use a default compile in enivornment.
> >>
> >> In oderder to use that one is in the in the need to activate
> >> CONFIG_ENV_HANDLING which alaways wants to load a environment from
> >> /dev/env0.
> >>
> >> So the question is - is it not possible to just use a compile in default env
> >> without the need that barebox wants to load another env from somewhere else
> >> or did i miss something on the way?
> >
> > Indeed this a usecase I never thought of and is not officially
> > supported. However, a
> >
> > 	default_environment_path_set(NULL);
> >
> > Should have the desired effect.
> >
> > Sascha
> >

> Hello Sascha,
>
> thanks for the reply!
>
> But are your sure that setting the default evironment path to NULL would
> have the said effect?
>
> It will then pass the NULL filepath pointer to open in load_envfs?
> Which in return also doesn't check for if the argumnt is NULL or not..
>
> Looks like barebox crashes in this case

This most likely goes down to:

| commit c6bdbf6e93a11227f91fbf15b7a36dceb60c526d
| Author: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
| Date:   Fri Sep 21 14:18:33 2018 +0200
|
|     environment: Allow default env path to be NULL
|
|     Several places assume that the default environment path cannot be NULL.
|     Allow NULL here without crashing.
|
|     Signed-off-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>

This commit is in current master, so it'll be in the next release.

Sascha

* Re: No default env without Barebox wanting to load from persistant storage
@ 2018-10-30  8:50       ` Martin Hofmann
From: Martin Hofmann @ 2018-10-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On 10/30/18 8:33 AM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 07:57:23AM +0100, Martin Hofmann wrote:
>>

>> On 10/29/18 2:53 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,

>>> Indeed this a usecase I never thought of and is not officially
>>> supported. However, a
>>>
>>> 	default_environment_path_set(NULL);
>>>
>>> Should have the desired effect.
>>>
>>> Sascha
>>>

>> Hello Sascha,
>>
>> thanks for the reply!
>>
>> But are your sure that setting the default evironment path to NULL would
>> have the said effect?
>>
>> It will then pass the NULL filepath pointer to open in load_envfs?
>> Which in return also doesn't check for if the argumnt is NULL or not..
>>
>> Looks like barebox crashes in this case
>
> This most likely goes down to:
>
> | commit c6bdbf6e93a11227f91fbf15b7a36dceb60c526d
> | Author: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
> | Date:   Fri Sep 21 14:18:33 2018 +0200
> |
> |     environment: Allow default env path to be NULL
> |
> |     Several places assume that the default environment path cannot be NULL.
> |     Allow NULL here without crashing.
> |
> |     Signed-off-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
>
> This commit is in current master, so it'll be in the next release.
>
> Sascha

Hello Sascha,

thanks for the info. I guess I will wait for the next release then.
Until it is released we will just ignore that message.

Greetings,
Martin