* barebox for leopardboard
@ 2010-02-05 16:25 Tyler W. Wilson
From: Tyler W. Wilson @ 2010-02-05 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

I am curious if anybody has done any work on getting barebox running on
the leopardboard, so I do not reproduce effort.

I am especially interested in setting up a bootloader that directly
supports USB and DFU, so that I do not need to use the UART/serial port.

Thank you,
Tyler

* Re: barebox for leopardboard
@ 2010-02-05 17:49 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2010-02-05 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox; +Cc: barebox

Hi Tyler,

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:25:28PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
> I am curious if anybody has done any work on getting barebox running on
> the leopardboard, so I do not reproduce effort.
>
> I am especially interested in setting up a bootloader that directly
> supports USB and DFU, so that I do not need to use the UART/serial port.

I know nothing about the leopardboard, from googling I found out that
this is a beagleboard with a camera connected to it, right? Barebox runs
on the beagleboard, but unfortunately we do not have USB support for it.
You would have to port the usb driver for it, then DFU should work.
As a first shot you can compile the beagleboard defconfig and see how
far you get.

Sascha

* Re: barebox for leopardboard
@ 2010-02-05 17:58   ` Tyler W. Wilson
From: Tyler W. Wilson @ 2010-02-05 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

On 2/5/2010 1:49 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:25:28PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
>
>> I am curious if anybody has done any work on getting barebox running on
>> the leopardboard, so I do not reproduce effort.
>>
>> I am especially interested in setting up a bootloader that directly
>> supports USB and DFU, so that I do not need to use the UART/serial port.
>>
> I know nothing about the leopardboard, from googling I found out that
> this is a beagleboard with a camera connected to it, right? Barebox runs
> on the beagleboard, but unfortunately we do not have USB support for it.
> You would have to port the usb driver for it, then DFU should work.
> As a first shot you can compile the beagleboard defconfig and see how
> far you get.
>
> Sascha

Unfortunately, it is a little different - it uses a DaVinci DM355
processor, which is an ARM9 + custom DSP. The beagleboard uses an OMAP3x
of course. Unfortunately, even I am confused on the TI naming scheme as
to what is an OMAP versus what is a DaVinci.

I will probably do as you suggest - start with the beagleboard configs
and also look at the leopardboard code in the ti u-boot repo. Hopefully
that will give me enough data to get the basic barebox running.

The USB worries me, since I am just familiar enough with it to know how
complex it can be. Time will tell.

Thank you for your input.

@ 2010-02-05 18:20     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2010-02-05 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox; +Cc: barebox

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:58:54PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
> On 2/5/2010 1:49 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>> Hi Tyler,
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:25:28PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I am curious if anybody has done any work on getting barebox running on
>>> the leopardboard, so I do not reproduce effort.
>>>
>>> I am especially interested in setting up a bootloader that directly
>>> supports USB and DFU, so that I do not need to use the UART/serial port.
>>>
>> I know nothing about the leopardboard, from googling I found out that
>> this is a beagleboard with a camera connected to it, right? Barebox runs
>> on the beagleboard, but unfortunately we do not have USB support for it.
>> You would have to port the usb driver for it, then DFU should work.
>> As a first shot you can compile the beagleboard defconfig and see how
>> far you get.
>>
>> Sascha
>>

> Unfortunately, it is a little different - it uses a DaVinci DM355
> processor, which is an ARM9 + custom DSP. The beagleboard uses an OMAP3x
> of course. Unfortunately, even I am confused on the TI naming scheme as
> to what is an OMAP versus what is a DaVinci.

Then I'm afraid you have to start porting from scratch. If you're lucky
they share some peripherals.

> I will probably do as you suggest - start with the beagleboard configs
> and also look at the leopardboard code in the ti u-boot repo. Hopefully
> that will give me enough data to get the basic barebox running.

Experience showed that it's a good way to start barebox from U-Boot as a
second stage loader and add the low level init stuff later.This way you
should be running up quite fast. Feel free to ask further questions
about it.

> The USB worries me, since I am just familiar enough with it to know how
> complex it can be. Time will tell

What kind of controller does this SoC have, EHCI, OHCI?

Sascha

* Re: barebox for leopardboard
@ 2010-02-05 20:16       ` Anand Gadiyar
From: Anand Gadiyar @ 2010-02-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

>> The USB worries me, since I am just familiar enough with it to know how
>> complex it can be. Time will tell
>
> What kind of controller does this SoC have, EHCI, OHCI?

I'm not familiar with this SoC, but a couple of quick searches on google
led me to the USB controller's reference guide. It looks like MUSB with
CPPI DMA, similar to what is in other Davinci chips. If so, there's a kernel
driver for it in Linux (see drivers/usb/musb/) with support for the DMA
engine as well.

OMAP3 uses MUSB with its own "Inventra" DMA engine.

- Anand

* RE: barebox for leopardboard
@ 2010-02-08 10:41     ` Premi, Sanjeev
From: Premi, Sanjeev @ 2010-02-08 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)