* Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:02 Sascha Hauer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2014-04-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi All,

barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
operating system needs:

- support for all kinds of storage devices
- support for various different fileystems
- Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
- memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
- drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
  SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs

I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Sascha

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:20 ` Alexander Shiyan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Shiyan @ 2014-04-01  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Tue, 1 Apr 2014 11:02:29 +0200 от Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>:
> Hi All,
>
> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
> operating system needs:
>
> - support for all kinds of storage devices
> - support for various different fileystems
> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>   SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>
> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Was puzzled a few minutes ;)

---

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:23   ` Franck Jullien
From: Franck Jullien @ 2014-04-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shiyan; +Cc: barebox

> Tue, 1 Apr 2014 11:02:29 +0200 от Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
>> operating system needs:
>>
>> - support for all kinds of storage devices
>> - support for various different fileystems
>> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
>> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
>> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>>   SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>>
>> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
>> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
>> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
>> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
>> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!
>
> Was puzzled a few minutes ;)
>
> ---

I must admit I read this with attention until I realised what is the
date today ;)

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:32 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2014-04-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:02:29AM +0200, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
> operating system needs:
>
> - support for all kinds of storage devices
> - support for various different fileystems
> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>   SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>
> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!

damn, I don't have a thesis for my master degree anymore.

- Alex

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:33 ` Erwin Rol
From: Erwin Rol @ 2014-04-01  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer, barebox

You could use a small Linux system with an adapted kexec to boot
barebOS.  That way barebOS doesn't have to bother with the boot processes.

- Erwin

On 1-4-2014 11:02, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
> operating system needs:
>
> - support for all kinds of storage devices
> - support for various different fileystems
> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>   SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>
> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!
>
> Sascha

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:35   ` Alessandro Rubini
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2014-04-01  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Great news Sascha.

>> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
>> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few

I believed it, until the "rename" bit.

Actually, adding a scheduler and making it an RT OS has been in my
intentions for quite a long time now.  Having no interrupts and a
great library of drivers, it really is a good target to become an OS.
I even got Sascha's generic approval about the idea, and I only missed
a student willing to do that as his master thesis.  Well, none appeared
so far...

/alessandro

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01  9:45     ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2014-04-01  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Rubini; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:35:48AM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> Great news Sascha.
>
> >> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> >> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
>
> I believed it, until the "rename" bit.
>
> Actually, adding a scheduler and making it an RT OS has been in my
> intentions for quite a long time now.  Having no interrupts and a
> great library of drivers, it really is a good target to become an OS.
> I even got Sascha's generic approval about the idea, and I only missed
> a student willing to do that as his master thesis.  Well, none appeared
> so far...

* waves with his hands *

- Alex

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01 15:22     ` Nur Hussein
From: Nur Hussein @ 2014-04-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Rubini; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:35:48AM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> Actually, adding a scheduler and making it an RT OS has been in my
> intentions for quite a long time now.  Having no interrupts and a
> great library of drivers, it really is a good target to become an OS.
> I even got Sascha's generic approval about the idea, and I only missed
> a student willing to do that as his master thesis.  Well, none appeared

I'm actually trying to get an OS off the ground using Barebox as a
starting point, just for the experience of getting it done.

This is offtopic, but since it's an April 1st thread I guess it's okay,
are you the same Alessandro Rubini who wrote "Linux Device Drivers"?

--
Nur Hussein
http://unixcat.org

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-01 16:16     ` Alessandro Rubini
From: Alessandro Rubini @ 2014-04-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hussein; +Cc: barebox

> I'm actually trying to get an OS off the ground using Barebox as a
> starting point, just for the experience of getting it done.

Everybody should write an operating system, sooner or later. It's a
great experience.  I finally converged to write a two-hour OS,
(expectedly, "thos").

> are you the same Alessandro Rubini who wrote "Linux Device Drivers"?

Not completely. Many years passed, and I'm now less positive about the
future.  But next time please ask offlist, or search the net.

Now, netiquette-wise, is it worse talking about oneself or leaving the
question unanswered? I tossed a coin, and I apologize if I chose wrong.

/alessandro

* Re: Introducing barebOS
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-05  2:53 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2014-04-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On Apr 1, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
> operating system needs:
>
> - support for all kinds of storage devices
> - support for various different fileystems
> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>  SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>
> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!

I’m not happy with the rename honestly

And why dropping he linux boot it’s a feature like others

> Sascha
>
> --
> Pengutronix e.K.                           |                             |
> Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
> Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0    |
> Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686           | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-05  5:49   ` Antony Pavlov
From: Antony Pavlov @ 2014-04-05  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD; +Cc: barebox

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 10:53:19 +0800
Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
> > operating system needs:
> >
> > - support for all kinds of storage devices
> > - support for various different fileystems
> > - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
> > - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
> > - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
> >  SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
> >
> > I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
> > of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
> > days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
> > remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
> > applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!
>
> I’m not happy with the rename honestly
>
> And why dropping he linux boot it’s a feature like others

It's 1 april post.

> > Sascha
> >
> > --
> > Pengutronix e.K.                           |                             |
> > Industrial Linux Solutions                 | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
> > Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0    |
> > Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686           | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |

Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov

* Re: Introducing barebOS
@ 2014-04-05  5:52     ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2014-04-05  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony Pavlov; +Cc: barebox

On Apr 5, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Antony Pavlov <antonynpavlov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 10:53:19 +0800
> Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@jcrosoft.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 1, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> barebox more and more comes in the area that is has everything an
>>> operating system needs:
>>>
>>> - support for all kinds of storage devices
>>> - support for various different fileystems
>>> - Cooperative multitasking with the poller mechanism
>>> - memory management in form of malloc/free and iospace resources
>>> - drivers for Networking, MMC, USB, UARTs, Framebuffer devices, (S)ATA,
>>> SPI, I2C, W1, Keyboard, EEPROMs, LEDs
>>>
>>> I therefore decided that it's no longer necessary to have the overhead
>>> of Linux at all. The project will be renamed to barebOS in the next few
>>> days. Support for booting Linux will be dropped as soon as some the
>>> remaining missing features are added, like for example a working vi
>>> applet and nodejs integration. I'm looking forward to your feedback!
>>
>> I’m not happy with the rename honestly
>>
>> And why dropping he linux boot it’s a feature like others
>>

> It's 1 april post.
I known but was busy handling a huge IP stealing case from a Silicon Vendor

Best Regards,
J.