* MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 12:05 Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-18 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi ,

 I would like to flash a barebox image on NAND for a Phytec imx6ul
evk board using MFGTools.
     I have added support for UTP protocol in kernel image so commands
could be "pushed" using MFGtools app from Windows.
     But obviously I cannot push barebox_update command to Linux.
     So I think I have two options:

1) porting barebox_update command to Linux which I do not find it so
easy. I am already working on it
2) adding UTP support in barebox so I could just load the barebox
image in RAM using MFGtools, there a utp device node would be created
and then I could push barebox specific commands directly from
MFGtools.
      I have added UTP support in linux USB gadget code but I see
barebox USB gadget code is quite different and not all functionality
are in place so I also struggle a bit of porint gUTP patches from
Linux to barebox.
     Does anybody have any experience with this topic or coud advise
me on how to proceed?

Thanks,
      Mihaita

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 13:01 ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-07-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu, barebox

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1507 bytes --]

Hi,

you email is in the list. (well, different version of it are already in
the list).
Please wait if some one can respond here.

I'm not an expert, but probably what you need is https://github.com/rauc

Am 18.07.2018 um 14:05 schrieb Mihaita Ivascu:
> Hi ,
>

>  I would like to flash a barebox image on NAND for a Phytec imx6ul
> evk board using MFGTools.
>      I have added support for UTP protocol in kernel image so commands
> could be "pushed" using MFGtools app from Windows.
>      But obviously I cannot push barebox_update command to Linux.
>      So I think I have two options:
>
> 1) porting barebox_update command to Linux which I do not find it so
> easy. I am already working on it
> 2) adding UTP support in barebox so I could just load the barebox
> image in RAM using MFGtools, there a utp device node would be created
> and then I could push barebox specific commands directly from
> MFGtools.
>       I have added UTP support in linux USB gadget code but I see
> barebox USB gadget code is quite different and not all functionality
> are in place so I also struggle a bit of porint gUTP patches from
> Linux to barebox.
>      Does anybody have any experience with this topic or coud advise
> me on how to proceed?
>
> Thanks,
>       Mihaita

Regards,
Oleksij

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 13:53   ` Bastian Stender
From: Bastian Stender @ 2018-07-18 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel, Mihaita Ivascu, barebox

Hi,

On 07/18/2018 03:01 PM, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> you email is in the list. (well, different version of it are already
> in the list). Please wait if some one can respond here.
>
> I'm not an expert, but probably what you need is
> https://github.com/rauc

Have a look here:

http://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced.html#updating-the-bootloader

Updating barebox on NAND is not yet implemented. It would certainly be a
nice feature to have. Have a look in section 7.6.2 if you want to do that.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Pengutronix e.K.
Industrial Linux Solutions

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 14:56     ` Jan Lübbe
From: Jan Lübbe @ 2018-07-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastian Stender, Oleksij Rempel, Mihaita Ivascu, barebox

On Wed, 2018-07-18 at 15:53 +0200, Bastian Stender wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/18/2018 03:01 PM, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> > you email is in the list. (well, different version of it are already
> > in the list). Please wait if some one can respond here.
> >
> > I'm not an expert, but probably what you need is
> > https://github.com/rauc
>
> Have a look here:
>
> http://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced.html#updating-the-bootloader
>
> Updating barebox on NAND is not yet implemented. It would certainly be a
> nice feature to have. Have a look in section 7.6.2 if you want to do that.

Speaking with my rauc maintainer hat on...

Writing barebox to NAND on an i.MX6 can't be done by generic methods,
so for rauc we would want to call something like barebox-update which
then handles the details. In any case, rauc is not intended for initial
installation in the factory, but for updating in the field.

Instead of MFGtools, we usually load barebox via imx-usb-loader. That
is configured to start the fastboot gadget, which we then use to write
barebox (via barebox_update) and the rootfs.

Regards,
Jan

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 15:11       ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlu; +Cc: barebox, bst, linux

Hi,

    Thanks for answer.
     I think I need it to do it from Windows as we have some boards
that need to be updated in the factory by people that do not necessary
have Linux skills or Linux workstation.
     That is why we thought we could use MFGtools app.
     My problem is that the board we have have only NAND and USB as
boot options. And I need to flash the NAND the first time.
      I have already looked at imx-usb-loader solution but it required
a Linux OS which is not possible in my case
     I have already used barebox_update successfully but only after I
had a working barebox already.
     I was successful into loading barebox image from MFGtools into
RAM and there execute barebox_update to flash on the NAND itself.
     But the barebox won't load afterwards the kernel image with
mfgtools support.

    So I have two options I think:

    i) porting barebox_update to Linux. Is there a way to flash the
barebox on NAND from Linux itself(after the board has booted
successfully) ?
   ii) adding support for MFGtools in barebox. I do not have toom uch
knowledge about it. I know I should add UTP protocol support in usb
gadget code in barebox but was not successful so far.

        How do you guys see a solution to this scenario?

Thanks,
       Mihaita

@ 2018-07-18 16:35         ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-07-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu, jlu; +Cc: barebox, bst

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1576 bytes --]

Am 18.07.2018 um 17:11 schrieb Mihaita Ivascu:
> Hi,
>
>     Thanks for answer.
>      I think I need it to do it from Windows as we have some boards
> that need to be updated in the factory by people that do not necessary
> have Linux skills or Linux workstation.
>      That is why we thought we could use MFGtools app.
>      My problem is that the board we have have only NAND and USB as
> boot options. And I need to flash the NAND the first time.
>       I have already looked at imx-usb-loader solution but it required
> a Linux OS which is not possible in my case
>      I have already used barebox_update successfully but only after I
> had a working barebox already.
>      I was successful into loading barebox image from MFGtools into
> RAM and there execute barebox_update to flash on the NAND itself.
>      But the barebox won't load afterwards the kernel image with
> mfgtools support.
>
>     So I have two options I think:
>
>     i) porting barebox_update to Linux. Is there a way to flash the
> barebox on NAND from Linux itself(after the board has booted
> successfully) ?
>    ii) adding support for MFGtools in barebox. I do not have toom uch
> knowledge about it. I know I should add UTP protocol support in usb
> gadget code in barebox but was not successful so far.
>
>         How do you guys see a solution to this scenario?

If you can load barebox in to RAM with MFGtools, you can use fastboot
tool flash all needed parts. fastboot is available for windows and
supported by barebox.
--
Regards,
Oleksij

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-18 17:56           ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux; +Cc: barebox, bst

          Ok, thanks. I will take a look. I think for that scenario I
do not need fastboot. Once I have barebox in RAM I can do
barebox_update to flash it in NAND, reboot and then run a script from
USB
 that created partitions in NAND and copies FIT image(which contains
kernel+rootfs) on NAND
          Fastboot would be helpful if I could flash the NAND without
running anything in target's RAM initially( no barebox nor Linux).
          My goal is to have a target with nothing on NAND and be able
to flash anything is needed(barebox, kernel, etc) by just using one
tool(MFGtools, fastboot, etc). Not 2 steps approach: to copy the NAND
first and then to do anything else by running commands/scripts
commands. This is how I do it now.
          I know that using MFGtools from NXP is possible. But with
uboot booatloader. NXP says they don't support barebox.

          Aside from this issue, are you aware of any method of
flashing the barebox  on NAND from Linux(after the kernel was loaded
successfully on the target) ?
barebox_update does not exist in Linux obviously and porting it is not
so trivial, on top of that I don't think I am able to access the nand
device from Linux, but only MTD partitions .
I have tried  nandwrite and kobs-ng commands but I was not successful.

Thanks,
       Mihaita

@ 2018-07-19  5:08             ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-07-19  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu, linux; +Cc: barebox, bst

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4596 bytes --]

On 18.07.2018 19:56, Mihaita Ivascu wrote:
>           Ok, thanks. I will take a look. I think for that scenario I
> do not need fastboot. Once I have barebox in RAM I can do
> barebox_update to flash it in NAND, reboot and then run a script from
> USB
>  that created partitions in NAND and copies FIT image(which contains
> kernel+rootfs) on NAND
>           Fastboot would be helpful if I could flash the NAND without
> running anything in target's RAM initially( no barebox nor Linux).
>           My goal is to have a target with nothing on NAND and be able
> to flash anything is needed(barebox, kernel, etc) by just using one
> tool(MFGtools, fastboot, etc). Not 2 steps approach: to copy the NAND
> first and then to do anything else by running commands/scripts
> commands. This is how I do it now.
>           I know that using MFGtools from NXP is possible. But with
> uboot booatloader. NXP says they don't support barebox.

This confusion appears only from end user perspective. one tool is not
equal one step. With MFGtool it works this way:
- iMX SoC will start do some checks and based on $decisions start USB
HID interface.
- MFGtool will upload firmware image over this interface and request
execution of this image. This firmware should contain NAND and USB drivers.
- Old ROM USB interface will be disabled and new firmware USB interface
with more futures will be created
- Over this new interface MFGtool is able to send commands and images so
the firmware can write it down.

The same we usually do by combining imx-usb-loader with fastboot:
- upload barebox with imx-usb-loader over ROM USB interface and start it
- barebox will disable ROM USB interface and create own with fastboot
support.
- use fastboot to send commands and images over fastboot-barebox USB
interface. Or upload barebox and linux over usb so you can do the same
over linux.

If all this steps are hidden behind one script or application, it looks
for end user as single step.

>           Aside from this issue, are you aware of any method of
> flashing the barebox  on NAND from Linux(after the kernel was loaded
> successfully on the target) ?
> barebox_update does not exist in Linux obviously and porting it is not
> so trivial, on top of that I don't think I am able to access the nand
> device from Linux, but only MTD partitions .
> I have tried  nandwrite and kobs-ng commands but I was not successful.

barebox_update is a wrapper to: take a image and write it to predefined
project or board specific location.
If you have access to this location from linux, you can do it from linux
as well.

@ 2018-07-19  9:53               ` Jan Lübbe
From: Jan Lübbe @ 2018-07-19  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel, Mihaita Ivascu, linux; +Cc: barebox, bst

On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 07:08 +0200, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> >           Aside from this issue, are you aware of any method of
> > flashing the barebox  on NAND from Linux(after the kernel was loaded
> > successfully on the target) ?
> > barebox_update does not exist in Linux obviously and porting it is not
> > so trivial, on top of that I don't think I am able to access the nand
> > device from Linux, but only MTD partitions .
> > I have tried  nandwrite and kobs-ng commands but I was not successful.
>
> barebox_update is a wrapper to: take a image and write it to predefined
> project or board specific location.
> If you have access to this location from linux, you can do it from linux
> as well.

Note that i.MX6, barebox_update also generates additional headers for
the ROM loader (such as a small bad block table). A raw barebox image
without these headers cannot be booted by the ROM from NAND. This is
the reason why simple nandwrite doesn't work.

Regards,
Jan

* Re: MFGtools support in barebox
@ 2018-07-19 10:08                 ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlu; +Cc: o.rempel, barebox, bst, linux

Hi,

     Yes, thanks for your answer. That is true. Also I think mtd-utils
from withing Linux will not work also to update barebox mtd partition?
     I have tried using kobs-ng init command from with Linux(as an
alternative to barebox_update) and it did seem it writes additional
BBU and other tables but unfortunately would stuck at some point and
not complete the update.

Best regards,
         Mihaita

       [not found]                 ` <CAEp+FuBAV20+TJOkGTZkbr=yOOLjR2DFN9sM+ZO+E6CgKkYeFw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-08-06  8:42                   ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-08-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1182 bytes --]

Hi

Am 06.08.2018 um 10:15 schrieb Mihaita Ivascu:
> Hello,

>     Yes, thanks. Setting otg mode manually in barebox helped.
>      I have on device side:
> /barebox@Phytec phyCORE-i.MX6 Ultra Lite SOM:/ usbgadget -A /fit(fit)c
> udc0: registering UDC driver [g_multi]
> multi_bind: creating Fastboot function
> g_multi usbgadget: Multifunction Composite Gadget
> g_multi usbgadget: userspace failed to provide iSerialNumber
> g_multi usbgadget: g_multi ready/

Beside,

you would be able to avoid this step by reading this part of documentation:
https://www.barebox.org/doc/latest/user/usb.html#usb-gadget-autostart-options

>     And on windows side I could see the phytec board in Device manager
> but is not detected properly and is not detected by the fastboot app.
> Please see attachment.
>     Do I need to configure anything else on Windows side so fastboot
> would detect correctly my board?

Probably you shout find out what kind of error is reported by windows
system manager. Probably windows just detach/disabled this device. I'm
not windows expert and can't answer any windows related question.

Regards,
Oleksij

* Re: MFGTools support in barebox
@ 2018-08-03 17:10               ` Oleksij Rempel
       [not found]                 ` <CAEp+FuBAV20+TJOkGTZkbr=yOOLjR2DFN9sM+ZO+E6CgKkYeFw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-08-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1678 bytes --]

Am 03.08.2018 um 18:37 schrieb Mihaita Ivascu:
> Hi,
>
>     I have usb controller configured for OTG both in .config and
> device tree sources. But still usbgadget complains about not finding

try:
otg.mode=peripheral
usbgadget (your options)

--
Regards,
Oleksij

* Re: MFGTools support in barebox
@ 2018-08-03 16:37             ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-08-03 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

Hi,

    I have usb controller configured for OTG both in .config and
device tree sources. But still usbgadget complains about not finding
UDC

@ 2018-08-03  8:37           ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-08-03  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1197 bytes --]

@ 2018-08-03  8:21         ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-08-03  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

[...]

@ 2018-07-20 18:14       ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-20 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux; +Cc: barebox, u.kleine-koenig

@ 2018-07-20  9:57     ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2018-07-20  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihaita Ivascu, u.kleine-koenig; +Cc: barebox

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2353 bytes --]

@ 2018-07-20  9:32   ` Mihaita Ivascu
From: Mihaita Ivascu @ 2018-07-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u.kleine-koenig; +Cc: barebox

@ 2018-07-20  9:11 ` Uwe Kleine-König