* barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-18  7:48 Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-18  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Are you planning to create a standalone PyPI package for bbremote? It
would be very handy.

Have you already contacted pyserial maintainers, so that they could
provide a configurable option for RFC2217 related timeout
(https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial)?

Yegor

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-19 13:45 ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-19 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi Sascha,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Are you planning to create a standalone PyPI package for bbremote? It
> would be very handy.

I'll try to create such a package on my GitHub account and then we
will see how to proceed. Porting to Python 3 is really funny :-) str
vs. bytearrays ....

> Have you already contacted pyserial maintainers, so that they could
> provide a configurable option for RFC2217 related timeout
> (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial)?

I'll drop own pyserial and rely on upstream.

Yegor

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-22  5:28   ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2016-08-22  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: barebox

Hi Yegor,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 03:45:22PM +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Yegor Yefremov
> <yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Are you planning to create a standalone PyPI package for bbremote? It
> > would be very handy.
>
> I'll try to create such a package on my GitHub account and then we
> will see how to proceed. Porting to Python 3 is really funny :-) str
> vs. bytearrays ....
>
> > Have you already contacted pyserial maintainers, so that they could
> > provide a configurable option for RFC2217 related timeout
> > (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial)?
>
> I'll drop own pyserial and rely on upstream.

Thanks. We haven't done anything in that direction yet.

Sascha

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-22  9:05     ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hi Yegor,
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 03:45:22PM +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Yegor Yefremov
>> <yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Are you planning to create a standalone PyPI package for bbremote? It
>> > would be very handy.
>>
>> I'll try to create such a package on my GitHub account and then we
>> will see how to proceed. Porting to Python 3 is really funny :-) str
>> vs. bytearrays ....
>>
>> > Have you already contacted pyserial maintainers, so that they could
>> > provide a configurable option for RFC2217 related timeout
>> > (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial)?
>>
>> I'll drop own pyserial and rely on upstream.
>
> Thanks. We haven't done anything in that direction yet.

Take a look at this repo: https://github.com/yegorich/bbremote

Following commands are already working in both Py2/3:

bbremote ping
bbremote run "devinfo"
bbremote getenv "global.version"

So far there was only one place, where I explicitly make distinction
between Py2 and 3. Everything else seems to work well with bytearray
(http://www.devdungeon.com/content/working-binary-data-python).

TODO:

1. bbremote console works only in Py3, in Py2 it seems to freeze
2. add proper dependencies for setup.py (enum, enum34 for Py2 and
crcmod and pyserial for all versions). What minial Py3 version should
be supported? Perhaps choose 3.4 as is available on current Debian 8
3. licence: should we keep Barebox licence or move to MIT?
4. more tests

Yegor

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-22 13:10       ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Hi Sascha,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>> Hi Yegor,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 03:45:22PM +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>>> Hi Sascha,

>>> I'll try to create such a package on my GitHub account and then we
>>> will see how to proceed. Porting to Python 3 is really funny :-) str
>>> vs. bytearrays ....

>>> I'll drop own pyserial and rely on upstream.
>>
>> Thanks. We haven't done anything in that direction yet.
>
> Take a look at this repo: https://github.com/yegorich/bbremote
>
> Following commands are already working in both Py2/3:
>
> bbremote ping
> bbremote run "devinfo"
> bbremote getenv "global.version"
>
> So far there was only one place, where I explicitly make distinction
> between Py2 and 3. Everything else seems to work well with bytearray
> (http://www.devdungeon.com/content/working-binary-data-python).
>
> TODO:
>
> 1. bbremote console works only in Py3, in Py2 it seems to freeze
> 2. add proper dependencies for setup.py (enum, enum34 for Py2 and
> crcmod and pyserial for all versions). What minial Py3 version should
> be supported? Perhaps choose 3.4 as is available on current Debian 8
> 3. licence: should we keep Barebox licence or move to MIT?
> 4. more tests

What is "bbremote listen" for?

Yegor

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-23  9:01         ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Yegor Yefremov
> <yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Yegor,

>>> Thanks. We haven't done anything in that direction yet.
>>
>> Take a look at this repo: https://github.com/yegorich/bbremote
>>
>> Following commands are already working in both Py2/3:
>>
>> bbremote ping
>> bbremote run "devinfo"
>> bbremote getenv "global.version"
>>
>> So far there was only one place, where I explicitly make distinction
>> between Py2 and 3. Everything else seems to work well with bytearray
>> (http://www.devdungeon.com/content/working-binary-data-python).
>>
>> TODO:
>>
>> 1. bbremote console works only in Py3, in Py2 it seems to freeze
>> 2. add proper dependencies for setup.py (enum, enum34 for Py2 and
>> crcmod and pyserial for all versions). What minial Py3 version should
>> be supported? Perhaps choose 3.4 as is available on current Debian 8
>> 3. licence: should we keep Barebox licence or move to MIT?
>> 4. more tests
>
> What is "bbremote listen" for?

I've started to import remote and use it from a Python file. It would
be good to add a "silent" option, so that only return value says
something about execution state.

What about renaming bbremote "binary" to bbrcli and renaming remote
package to bbremote? "remote" seems to be too common name.

Yegor

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-23  9:05         ` Jan Lübbe
From: Jan Lübbe @ 2016-08-23  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: barebox

On Mo, 2016-08-22 at 15:10 +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> What is "bbremote listen" for?

It will setup a RATP connection in the 'listen' state. We used it for
testing during development. Maybe it could be reused for running
loopback tests locally.

Regards,
Jan

* Re: barebox remote control
@ 2016-08-23  9:24           ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2016-08-23  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Lübbe; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Jan Lübbe <jlu@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Mo, 2016-08-22 at 15:10 +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>> What is "bbremote listen" for?
>
> It will setup a RATP connection in the 'listen' state. We used it for
> testing during development. Maybe it could be reused for running
> loopback tests locally.

listen mode could be also interesting to really wait for barebox
coming up (i.e. some kind of callback). I can image following
scenario:

/env/bin/init sends ratp ping to bbremote and, if there is no reaction
for n seconds, then it goes further. Otherwise the script exits.

Yegor