From: Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com>
To: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
Cc: barebox <barebox@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: barebox remote control
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:05:55 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hi Yegor,
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 03:45:22PM +0200, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Yegor Yefremov
>> <yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Are you planning to create a standalone PyPI package for bbremote? It
>> > would be very handy.
>>
>> I'll try to create such a package on my GitHub account and then we
>> will see how to proceed. Porting to Python 3 is really funny :-) str
>> vs. bytearrays ....
>>
>> > Have you already contacted pyserial maintainers, so that they could
>> > provide a configurable option for RFC2217 related timeout
>> > (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial)?
>>
>> I'll drop own pyserial and rely on upstream.
>
> Thanks. We haven't done anything in that direction yet.

Take a look at this repo: https://github.com/yegorich/bbremote

Following commands are already working in both Py2/3:

bbremote ping
bbremote run "devinfo"
bbremote getenv "global.version"

So far there was only one place, where I explicitly make distinction
between Py2 and 3. Everything else seems to work well with bytearray
(http://www.devdungeon.com/content/working-binary-data-python).

TODO:

1. bbremote console works only in Py3, in Py2 it seems to freeze
2. add proper dependencies for setup.py (enum, enum34 for Py2 and
crcmod and pyserial for all versions). What minial Py3 version should
be supported? Perhaps choose 3.4 as is available on current Debian 8
3. licence: should we keep Barebox licence or move to MIT?
4. more tests

Yegor