* lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."
@ 2012-12-04 16:13 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

  while roaming around in the arm/omap files, i noticed that numerous
files have obsolete "FileName:" values, given that stuff that was once
in "include/asm-arm" has clearly moved, so you find header files like
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc_nand.h that contain:

 * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc_nand.h
 *
 * OMAP's General Purpose Memory Controller (GPMC) has a NAND controller
 * embedded. this file provides the platform data structure required to
 * hook on to it.
 *
 */
/*
 * (C) Copyright 2008
 * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
 * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan@ti.com>
 *
 * Originally from Linux kernel:
 * http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/linux-ldp-v1.3.tar.gz
 * include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h

so the later comment as to the *origin* of the file is fine, but the
earlier "FileName" value is obviously incorrect.  does that matter?
is that value used for any sort of documentation processing?

rday

p.s.  you can see the number of these with a simple:

$ grep -r "include/asm-arm" *

since i'm working with a number of the ARM files, i'd be happy to
"fix" that stuff for some reasonable definition of "fix". :-)

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."
@ 2012-12-04 19:08 ` menon.nishanth
From: menon.nishanth @ 2012-12-04 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   while roaming around in the arm/omap files, i noticed that numerous
> files have obsolete "FileName:" values, given that stuff that was once
> in "include/asm-arm" has clearly moved, so you find header files like
> arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc_nand.h that contain:
>
>  * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc_nand.h
>  *
>  * OMAP's General Purpose Memory Controller (GPMC) has a NAND controller
>  * embedded. this file provides the platform data structure required to
>  * hook on to it.
>  *
>  */
> /*
>  * (C) Copyright 2008
>  * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
>  * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan@ti.com>
>  *
>  * Originally from Linux kernel:
>  * http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/linux-ldp-v1.3.tar.gz
>  * include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h
>
> so the later comment as to the *origin* of the file is fine, but the
> earlier "FileName" value is obviously incorrect.  does that matter?
> is that value used for any sort of documentation processing?

At least when I created the original file in 2008, I think it was
originally from
http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/
and the file there was include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h

> p.s.  you can see the number of these with a simple:
>
> $ grep -r "include/asm-arm" *
>
> since i'm working with a number of the ARM files, i'd be happy to
> "fix" that stuff for some reasonable definition of "fix". :-)

if there is a cleanup, awesome.. that would be really be good.

Regards,
NM

* Re: lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."
@ 2012-12-04 19:30   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: menon.nishanth; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, menon.nishanth@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   while roaming around in the arm/omap files, i noticed that numerous
> > files have obsolete "FileName:" values, given that stuff that was once
> > in "include/asm-arm" has clearly moved, so you find header files like
> > arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc_nand.h that contain:
> >
> >  * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc_nand.h
> >  *
> >  * OMAP's General Purpose Memory Controller (GPMC) has a NAND controller
> >  * embedded. this file provides the platform data structure required to
> >  * hook on to it.
> >  *
> >  */
> > /*
> >  * (C) Copyright 2008
> >  * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
> >  * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan@ti.com>
> >  *
> >  * Originally from Linux kernel:
> >  * http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/linux-ldp-v1.3.tar.gz
> >  * include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h
> >
> > so the later comment as to the *origin* of the file is fine, but the
> > earlier "FileName" value is obviously incorrect.  does that matter?
> > is that value used for any sort of documentation processing?
>
> At least when I created the original file in 2008, I think it was
> originally from
> http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/
> and the file there was include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h
>
> > p.s.  you can see the number of these with a simple:
> >
> > $ grep -r "include/asm-arm" *
> >
> > since i'm working with a number of the ARM files, i'd be happy to
> > "fix" that stuff for some reasonable definition of "fix". :-)
> >
> if there is a cleanup, awesome.. that would be really be good.

  the obvious cleanup is to just delete all those "FileName" lines.
it *is* useful info to know where a file came from in the linux
kernel, i would definitely leave that in.  but (as was explained to me
recently) it's pointless to have a file contain its own alleged name,
especially if files can be moved.

  so unless those "FileName" lines have some value, i would just
remove all of them.

rday

@ 2012-12-04 19:36     ` menon.nishanth
From: menon.nishanth @ 2012-12-04 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

Hi,
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> the obvious cleanup is to just delete all those "FileName" lines.
> it *is* useful info to know where a file came from in the linux
> kernel, i would definitely leave that in.  but (as was explained to me
> recently) it's pointless to have a file contain its own alleged name,
> especially if files can be moved.
>
>   so unless those "FileName" lines have some value, i would just
> remove all of them.
Sounds good to me.
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

* Re: lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."
@ 2012-12-04 19:49       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-04 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: menon.nishanth; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, menon.nishanth@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > the obvious cleanup is to just delete all those "FileName" lines.
> > it *is* useful info to know where a file came from in the linux
> > kernel, i would definitely leave that in.  but (as was explained to me
> > recently) it's pointless to have a file contain its own alleged name,
> > especially if files can be moved.
> >
> >   so unless those "FileName" lines have some value, i would just
> > remove all of them.

> Sounds good to me.
> Regards,
> Nishanth Menon

  if i don't hear differently, i can submit a patch tomorrow.  as you
can see, almost all of that content is arm-related:

arch/arm/mach-omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c
arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_clock.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_clock.c
arch/arm/mach-omap/s32k_clksource.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/s32k_clksource.c
arch/arm/mach-omap/syslib.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/syslib.c
arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_core.S: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_core.S
arch/arm/mach-omap/gpmc.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/gpmc.c
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/omap3-mux.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omap3-mux.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/syslib.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/syslib.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/sys_info.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/sys_info.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/control.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/control.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/intc.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/intc.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/sdrc.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/sdrc.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc_nand.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc_nand.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/omap3-clock.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omap3-clock.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/omap3-silicon.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omap3-silicon.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/timers.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/timers.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/omap3-smx.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omap3-smx.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/omap_hsmmc.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omap_hsmmc.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/clocks.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/clocks.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/wdt.h: * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/wdt.h
arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_generic.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_generic.c
arch/arm/boards/omap3evm/board.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/board-omap3evm.c
arch/arm/boards/omap343xdsp/board.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/board-sdp343x.c
arch/arm/boards/beagle/board.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/board-beagle.c
arch/arm/boards/phycard-a-l1/pca-a-l1.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/phycard-a-l1/pca-a-l1.c
arch/arm/boards/phycard-a-l1/pca-a-l1.h: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/phycard-a-l1/board.h
commands/loadxy.c: * FileName: commands/loadxy.c
commands/loadb.c: * FileName: commands/loadb.c
drivers/mtd/nand/nand_omap_gpmc.c: * FileName: arch/arm/mach-omap/gpmc_nand.c
drivers/serial/serial_ns16550.c: * FileName: drivers/serial/serial_ns16550.c
drivers/serial/serial_ns16550.h: * FileName: drivers/serial/serial_ns16550.h
include/ns16550.h: * FileName: include/ns16550.h
scripts/mk-am35xx-spi-image.c: * FileName: scripts/mk-am35xx-spi-image.c

  i'll restrict the patch to just the arch/asm stuff, someone else is
welcome to clean up the other bits.

@ 2012-12-04 20:53         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: menon.nishanth; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   if i don't hear differently, i can submit a patch tomorrow.  as you
> can see, almost all of that content is arm-related:
>
> arch/arm/mach-omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c

  simple aesthetic question for this cleanup.  here's the top of one
of those sample files:

/**
 * @file
 * @brief GPMC specific NAND devices
 *
 * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c
 *
 */
/*
 * (C) Copyright 2006-2008
 * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
 * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan@ti.com>
 ... snip ...

  what would you like the final result to be?  collapse the two
comment blocks into one?  just show me what *this* file should end up
looking like and i'll apply that to all of them.

@ 2012-12-04 20:59           ` menon.nishanth
From: menon.nishanth @ 2012-12-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>   if i don't hear differently, i can submit a patch tomorrow.  as you
>> can see, almost all of that content is arm-related:
>>
>> arch/arm/mach-omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c: * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c
>
>   simple aesthetic question for this cleanup.  here's the top of one
> of those sample files:
>
> /**
>  * @file
>  * @brief GPMC specific NAND devices
>  *
>  * FileName: arch/arm/boards/omap/devices-gpmc-nand.c
>  *
>  */
> /*
>  * (C) Copyright 2006-2008
>  * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
>  * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan@ti.com>
>  ... snip ...
>
>   what would you like the final result to be?  collapse the two
> comment blocks into one?  just show me what *this* file should end up
> looking like and i'll apply that to all of them.

Seems at least inside TI, we do have a copyright template that has
been aligned on:
/*
 * Function of the file
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated - http://www.ti.com/
 *      Nishanth Menon
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation.

 * This program is distributed "as is" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY of any
 * kind, whether express or implied; without even the implied warranty
 * of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 */

As long as GPL V2 is maintained, I dont see any issues. Adding
historic stuff is nice to have, I usually maintain that esp when
taking code from tarballs to just be sure to provide appropriate
credits.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

* Re: lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."
@ 2012-12-04 21:03             ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-04 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: menon.nishanth; +Cc: U-Boot Version 2 (barebox)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, menon.nishanth@gmail.com wrote:

> Seems at least inside TI, we do have a copyright template that has
> been aligned on:
> /*
>  * Function of the file
>  *
>  * Copyright (C) 2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated - http://www.ti.com/
>  *      Nishanth Menon
>  *
>  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>  * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
>  * published by the Free Software Foundation.
>
>  * This program is distributed "as is" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY of any
>  * kind, whether express or implied; without even the implied warranty
>  * of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>  * GNU General Public License for more details.
>  */

 ok, i'll just collapse those two comment sections together and ditch
the FileName line -- everything else will remain.  i just hate cruft,
especially when it's incorrect cruft.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca