* i.MX6Q SABRESD board and barebox
@ 2014-06-11 21:59 Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2014-06-11 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use barebox on a SabreSD board with i.MX6Q processor
and seem to be running into problems. One odd thing that I noticed was
that default configuration, freescale-mx6-sabresd_defconfig, specifies
TEXT_BASE as 0x08f80000, which is the address mapped to external
interface module(EIM). At the same time load address specified in
arch/arm/boards/freescale-mx6-sabresd/lash-header-mx6-sabresd.imxcfg
is 0x10000000, which is the start of DRAM. Is there some MMU setup
that accounts for that, that I am missing?

Thank you,
Andrey Smirnov

* Re: i.MX6Q SABRESD board and barebox
@ 2014-06-12  5:42 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2014-06-12  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

Hi Andrey,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 02:59:53PM -0700, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to use barebox on a SabreSD board with i.MX6Q processor
> and seem to be running into problems. One odd thing that I noticed was
> that default configuration, freescale-mx6-sabresd_defconfig, specifies
> TEXT_BASE as 0x08f80000, which is the address mapped to external
> interface module(EIM). At the same time load address specified in
> arch/arm/boards/freescale-mx6-sabresd/lash-header-mx6-sabresd.imxcfg
> is 0x10000000, which is the start of DRAM. Is there some MMU setup
> that accounts for that, that I am missing?

0x08f80000 is plain wrong for TEXT_BASE. Probably noone noticed because
the sabresd can be built with imx_v7_defconfig. Please use this config
instead. The individual board configs will be removed soon for boards
which can be built with the imx_v7_defconfig.

Sascha

* Re: i.MX6Q SABRESD board and barebox
@ 2014-06-13 18:43   ` Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2014-06-13 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for the quick response! I tried imx_v7_defconfig but it seemed
to be as ill-suited for what I am trying to do as
freescale-mx6-sabresd_defconfig.
What I am trying to get is an ELF file that I would be able to use
with DS-5 debugger by uploading it directly into RAM and also an image
that I would be able to supply to the build-in ROM bootloader.
Imx_v7_defconfig specifies TEXT_BASE as 0x0 which isn't much better
for the purpose of using DS-5 since that memory is mapped to boot ROM.

For now I just ended up setting it up manually to 0x10000000 in menuconfig.

Thanks,
Andrey

@ 2014-06-13 19:36     ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2014-06-13 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

Hi Andrey,

probably no one noticed because CONFIG_ARCH_TEXT_BASE is unused as
soon as CONFIG_RELOCATABLE is set.

However, I guess that you don't like a relocatable image to be used
with your debugger. Maybe you shrink barebox down to what you need and
put it into the static on-board SDRAM?

* Re: i.MX6Q SABRESD board and barebox
@ 2014-06-13 19:42       ` Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2014-06-13 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Schurig; +Cc: barebox

Yeah, that's what I've been doing(I forgot to mention that I disabled
relocatable image as well).

I just wanted to double check that I wasn't missing anything obvious
and that that setting was indeed incorrect.

Thanks,
Andrey