* Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga
@ 2015-04-13 12:43 Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2015-04-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi All,

I am trying to use Barebox on Terasic's SoCKit board and so far I've
had limited success.

My sequence of actions is the following:

1. Get zImage, device tree file and .rbf file from a pre-built image
available here:
http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKITEvaluationBoard140LinuxGettingStarted

2. Boot into barebox

3. cp /boot/soc_system.rbf /dev/socfpga-fpga (This step initially
didn't work for me, so I had to make a change to the firmware driver
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2015-April/023194.html)

4. global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200"

5. global.bootm.oftree=/boot/soc_system.dtb

6. global.bootm.image=/boot/zImage

7. bootm

After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
any output on the serial at all.

I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't figure out
what it is. If anyone has had experience booting Linux using barebox
on aforementioned board I'd greatly appreciate to hear about how you
did it.

Thank you,
Andrey Smirnov

* Re: Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga
@ 2015-04-13 13:04 ` Steffen Trumtrar
From: Steffen Trumtrar @ 2015-04-13 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

Hi!

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 05:43:39AM -0700, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to use Barebox on Terasic's SoCKit board and so far I've
> had limited success.
>
> My sequence of actions is the following:
>
> 1. Get zImage, device tree file and .rbf file from a pre-built image
> available here:
> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKITEvaluationBoard140LinuxGettingStarted
>
> 2. Boot into barebox
>
> 3. cp /boot/soc_system.rbf /dev/socfpga-fpga (This step initially
> didn't work for me, so I had to make a change to the firmware driver
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2015-April/023194.html)

This is interesting, because all rbf's I generated myself worked fine.
I wonder why this is different...

> 4. global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200"
>
> 5. global.bootm.oftree=/boot/soc_system.dtb
>
> 6. global.bootm.image=/boot/zImage
>
> 7. bootm
>
> After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
> any output on the serial at all.

Wild guess: does the Rocketboards kernel define "CONFIG_VMSPLIT_2G=y"?
It is possible, that this produces errors when you use barebox.

Try setting
	global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200 earlyprintk"
if early printk is enabled in the rocketboards kernel.

> I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't figure out
> what it is. If anyone has had experience booting Linux using barebox
> on aforementioned board I'd greatly appreciate to hear about how you
> did it.

I'm booting the mainline kernel with barebox since a v3.15ish kernel
and it works fine. I have no idea about the state of the rocketboards
kernel, though.

Regards,
Steffen

* Re: Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga
@ 2015-04-20 12:41   ` Andrey Smirnov
From: Andrey Smirnov @ 2015-04-20 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Trumtrar; +Cc: barebox

>> 2. Boot into barebox
>>
>> 3. cp /boot/soc_system.rbf /dev/socfpga-fpga (This step initially
>> didn't work for me, so I had to make a change to the firmware driver
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2015-April/023194.html)
>>

> This is interesting, because all rbf's I generated myself worked fine.
> I wonder why this is different...

My guess is that all of the .rbfs you generated had their length be
multiple of 4

>> After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
>> any output on the serial at all.
>>

> Wild guess: does the Rocketboards kernel define "CONFIG_VMSPLIT_2G=y"?
> It is possible, that this produces errors when you use barebox.

You wild guess was spot on, thank you! It was indeed the reason and as
soon as I recompiled a Rocketboards kernel without that option
everything started to work just fine.

Andrey

* Re: Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga
@ 2015-04-20 12:58     ` Lucas Stach
From: Lucas Stach @ 2015-04-20 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Trumtrar, Andrey Smirnov; +Cc: barebox

Steffen,

Am Montag, den 20.04.2015, 05:41 -0700 schrieb Andrey Smirnov:

[...]
> >> After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
> >> any output on the serial at all.
> >>

> > Wild guess: does the Rocketboards kernel define "CONFIG_VMSPLIT_2G=y"?
> > It is possible, that this produces errors when you use barebox.
> >

> You wild guess was spot on, thank you! It was indeed the reason and as
> soon as I recompiled a Rocketboards kernel without that option
> everything started to work just fine.

Care to explain what might be the problem there?

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |