* Installing barebox for karo-tx53
@ 2013-05-07 12:33 Dr. Patrick Langfeld
From: Dr. Patrick Langfeld @ 2013-05-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barebox

Hi,
I want to install barebox on a Karo TX53 module as a primary bootloader.
Now I have a few questions:

a)
With wich version should I start. I found the branch karo-tx53 at
git://github.com/gchiii/barebox-tx53.git
Is this the right one (as it seems to be quit old with latest commit 9
month ago)

Or should I start with the master branch at
git://git.pengutronix.de/git/barebox.git ?

b)
Is there even a simpler way as I am using ptxdist?

c) How can I flash barebox over u-boot, which is my current bootloader?

Best regards
Patrick

* Re: Installing barebox for karo-tx53
@ 2013-05-07 17:55 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2013-05-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Patrick Langfeld; +Cc: barebox

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 12:33:03PM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install barebox on a Karo TX53 module as a primary bootloader.
> Now I have a few questions:
>
> a)
> With wich version should I start. I found the branch karo-tx53 at
> git://github.com/gchiii/barebox-tx53.git
> Is this the right one (as it seems to be quit old with latest commit
> 9 month ago)

I don't know this branch.

> Or should I start with the master branch at
> git://git.pengutronix.de/git/barebox.git ?

Yes, this one is the right one.

> b)
> Is there even a simpler way as I am using ptxdist?

barebox is integrated into ptxdist, so you can just select it in ptxdist
platformconfig. There are also ways to compile a barebox from a git
repository using ptxdist.

> c) How can I flash barebox over u-boot, which is my current bootloader?

Yes, you can. What boot sources does your board have? I think it has
Nand, that's where U-Boot is. Are there other possibilities?

Sascha

* Re[2]: Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash
@ 2013-05-10  9:20   ` Dr. Patrick Langfeld
From: Dr. Patrick Langfeld @ 2013-05-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

Thanks Sascha,
building barebox results in two .bin files: barebox.bin and
zbarebox.bin.
Is zbarebox.bin a compressed version of barebox.bin?
Which one should I use for flashing the tx53 nand-flash?

My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
(and SD-card for testing).

I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
nand: No NAND device found (-19)!
imx_nand imx_nand0: probe failed: No such device or address
malloc space: 0x85f00000 -> 0x87efffff (size 32 MiB)
Using environment in NAND
Open /dev/env0 No such file or directory
..

Does barebox already support the FirmwareConfigurationBlock? I heard
from Mathias Fend that he manually had to add a FCB blob before the
barebox binary when writing barebox to flash in an older barebox
version.

Best regards
  Patrick

>On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 12:33:03PM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>  I want to install barebox on a Karo TX53 module as a primary
>>bootloader.
>>  Now I have a few questions:
>>
>>  a)
>>  With wich version should I start. I found the branch karo-tx53 at
>>  git://github.com/gchiii/barebox-tx53.git
>>  Is this the right one (as it seems to be quit old with latest commit
>>  9 month ago)
>
>I don't know this branch.
>

>>  Or should I start with the master branch at
>>  git://git.pengutronix.de/git/barebox.git ?
>
>Yes, this one is the right one.
>

>>  b)
>>  Is there even a simpler way as I am using ptxdist?
>
>barebox is integrated into ptxdist, so you can just select it in
>ptxdist
>platformconfig. There are also ways to compile a barebox from a git
>repository using ptxdist.
>

>>  c) How can I flash barebox over u-boot, which is my current
>>bootloader?
>
>Yes, you can. What boot sources does your board have? I think it has
>Nand, that's where U-Boot is. Are there other possibilities?
>
>Sascha
>
>--
>Pengutronix e.K. | |
>Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
>Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |
>Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |

* Re: Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash
@ 2013-05-10 10:53     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2013-05-10 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Patrick Langfeld; +Cc: barebox

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 09:20:50AM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
> Thanks Sascha,
> building barebox results in two .bin files: barebox.bin and
> zbarebox.bin.
> Is zbarebox.bin a compressed version of barebox.bin?
> Which one should I use for flashing the tx53 nand-flash?

If it exists then zbarebox.bin please. There is a convenience link
(barebox-flash-image) which always points to the correct binary.

> My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
> (and SD-card for testing).
>
> I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
> nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
> nand: No NAND device found (-19)!

Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.

> imx_nand imx_nand0: probe failed: No such device or address
> malloc space: 0x85f00000 -> 0x87efffff (size 32 MiB)
> Using environment in NAND
> Open /dev/env0 No such file or directory
> ..

For testing I would recommend the SD card. You can simply write the
binary to the card:

cat barebox-flash-image > /dev/sdx

> Does barebox already support the FirmwareConfigurationBlock? I heard
> from Mathias Fend that he manually had to add a FCB blob before the
> barebox binary when writing barebox to flash in an older barebox
> version.

The FCB is not part of the image. However, when you start from SD card
you should be able to use barebox_update to flash to the nand, given
that it works of course...

Sascha

* Re: Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash
@ 2013-05-10 12:35       ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2013-05-10 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Hauer; +Cc: barebox

On 12:53 Fri 10 May     , Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 09:20:50AM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
> > Thanks Sascha,
> > building barebox results in two .bin files: barebox.bin and
> > zbarebox.bin.
> > Is zbarebox.bin a compressed version of barebox.bin?
> > Which one should I use for flashing the tx53 nand-flash?
>
> If it exists then zbarebox.bin please. There is a convenience link
> (barebox-flash-image) which always points to the correct binary.
>

> > My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
> > (and SD-card for testing).
> >
> > I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
> > nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
> > nand: No NAND device found (-19)!
>
> Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
> the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.
patch from Eric that brake the none ONFI NAND

Best Regards,
J.

* Re: Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash
@ 2013-05-10 12:53       ` Eric Bénard
From: Eric Bénard @ 2013-05-10 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Patrick Langfeld; +Cc: barebox

Hi Patrick,

Le Fri, 10 May 2013 12:53:50 +0200,
Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de> a écrit :

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 09:20:50AM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
> > Thanks Sascha,
> > building barebox results in two .bin files: barebox.bin and
> > zbarebox.bin.
> > Is zbarebox.bin a compressed version of barebox.bin?
> > Which one should I use for flashing the tx53 nand-flash?
>
> If it exists then zbarebox.bin please. There is a convenience link
> (barebox-flash-image) which always points to the correct binary.
>

> > My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
> > (and SD-card for testing).
> >
> > I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
> > nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
> > nand: No NAND device found (-19)!
>
> Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
> the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.

may you please try with his patch :
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2013-May/014470.html
and tell if that solves this NAND flash issue.

It seems my tests for 4c2bdc8728016b3412523e3264651651fe752860 were
wrong as all the board I'm using for my tests have ONFI flashes ...
so I'll fit one with a non ONFI flash for the next time.

Eric

* Re: Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash
@ 2013-05-14 17:15         ` Christoph Fritz
From: Christoph Fritz @ 2013-05-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bénard; +Cc: barebox

On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 14:53 +0200, Eric Bénard wrote:
> > > My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
> > > (and SD-card for testing).
> > >
> > > I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
> > > nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
> > > nand: No NAND device found (-19)!
> >
> > Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
> > the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.
> >
> may you please try with his patch :
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2013-May/014470.html
> and tell if that solves this NAND flash issue.

Successfully tested your patch on an omap3-board: NAND detection works
again. Without the patch I get the same kind of error as above.

@ 2013-05-14 18:19           ` Eric Bénard
From: Eric Bénard @ 2013-05-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Fritz; +Cc: barebox

Hi Christoph,

Le Tue, 14 May 2013 19:15:31 +0200,
Christoph Fritz <chf.fritz@googlemail.com> a écrit :

> > > Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
> > > the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.
> > >
> > may you please try with his patch :
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2013-May/014470.html
> > and tell if that solves this NAND flash issue.
>
> Successfully tested your patch on an omap3-board: NAND detection works
> again. Without the patch I get the same kind of error as above.

OK thanks for the testing. I'll send an updated patch (cosmetic fix)
tomorrow.

Best regards
Eric