Hello Ahmad, On Wed, Jun 07, 2023 at 10:08:18AM +0200, Ahmad Fatoum wrote: > of_get_devicepath code flow is split into two: > > A) Either the device tree node in question has a direct udev_device > associated with it > > B) Or we assume it's a partition and lookup udev_device for the parent > first, before finding a child udev_device or setting a partition > offset within the parent udev_device. > > Since v2017.03.0, we have had a fallthrough from case A into case B: > If we have a udev_device, but it's neither a EEPROMs, MTDs or block > device, we just consider it a partition. This is problematic, because > this may result in us pointing at a very different device: > > - backend points at a SD-Card host. Host is enabled, but SD-Card > is not inserted, so no block device > > - case A fails, so it's assumed it's a partition and case B > uses parent SoC bus to lookup appropriate device > > - We fall through into the second device_find_block_device, which > will take the first matching block device across the SoC. So > we could end up with the eMMC: a completely different device > than what was pointed at. So another surprise is that device_find_block_device() recurses to find a device when starting on /soc, isn't it? Is this worth addressing? > Fixes: 929ed64cb42f ("of_get_devicepath: make partition finding more robust") > Signed-off-by: Ahmad Fatoum > --- > src/libdt.c | 6 ++++-- > 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-) > > diff --git a/src/libdt.c b/src/libdt.c > index e54d7fb5649d..7b99efe5b2de 100644 > --- a/src/libdt.c > +++ b/src/libdt.c > @@ -2492,9 +2492,11 @@ int of_get_devicepath(struct device_node *partition_node, char **devpath, off_t > } > > /* > - * If we found a device but couldn't classify it above, we fall > - * through. > + * If we find a udev_device but couldn't classify it above, > + * it's an error. Falling through would mean to handle it as a > + * partition and could lead us to return an arbitrary sibling device > */ > + return -ENODEV; I don't remember the details of 929ed64cb42f any more, but probably I didn't have a specific case that were fixed by that commit. Your rationale makes sense. Reviewed-by: Uwe Kleine-König Best regards Uwe -- Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König | Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |